Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hornet deer advoidance unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM
MLCrow1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I am trying the cheap whistles on my SG as soon as I get it back together. I hit a small deer October 2nd, that did $12,000 in damage and threw me and the wife in the highway at 60 MPH. I receovered quickly, but my wife is still seeing an orthopedist each week for her hip (bad hematoma).

I figure like the OP, what is a few wasted dollars if they work even once? Like many here, I saw deer many times standing on the side of the road, but it is a sinking feeling when you see one 15 feet ahead of you in your lane in the air (the tree line came to the road so there was no seeing him ahead of time). It sure messed with my plans for Bikes, Blues & BBQ.

Attached Thumbnails Hornet deer advoidance unit-dscn0742.jpg  
Old 12-05-2010, 05:28 AM
bbarn
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hit 2 deer one with a whistle one without

Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 AM
pilgrim08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rinehart true duals for deer. They seem to go the other way when I am coming toward them.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My Daughter, who lives in the outskirts of San Antonio had them on her car. Three weeks ago a deer ran into the side of Her car about a quarter mile from her home. Enough said, they don't work.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dionicio
My Daughter, who lives in the outskirts of San Antonio had them on her car. Three weeks ago a deer ran into the side of Her car about a quarter mile from her home. Enough said, they don't work.
You mentioned had "them" on her car. The OP is talking about an electronic unit which is a one piece unit not those cheap plastic things you put on both fenders.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM
softtailrider
Intermediate

Don't know about the elctronic ones but the cheap plastic one don't work. I work in a body shop and have replaced many bumpers that were destroyed by hitting deer and had these stuck to them.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

duplicate...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

The deer that I hit and all the deer that I have almost hit (so close I could hear their hooves scrape asphalt) were all deer that had been startled and were running. I haven't hit a single deer that was standing beside the road.

IMO why would I want to do anything extra, such as adding an electronic device to my bike, to startle them into running.

I live in rural foothill canyon country and see tons of deer. There is a herd of at least 20 that lives in a half mile perimeter of my house. I have run full speed yelling, screaming, banging pots and pans at deer in my front yard and they don't run until I am within arm's reach before they are scared enough to run. When they do finally run, your guess is as good as mine as to which direction it will be. I have had deer that were running completely out of danger away from my truck suddenly turn and run broadside into my drivers side door.

Scare more deer? Why?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Marine Trader
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OklahomaSam
Which way does the deer run when it hears it?
plus 1

Old 12-05-2010, 07:42 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

a used kenworth i bought years ago had a pair of deer whistles on it. i couldn't figure out why whenever i'd pull into a rest area, coyotes, rabbits, deer, etc would swarm around my truck. i studied it, and sure enough, the deer whistles were on backwards. i'm laffing now about where to mount a "clap on-clap off" light switch on a bike.