Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hornet deer advoidance unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere the University of Wisconsin did a study on them and conclusion was that they don’t work.They do more harm then good by giving you a false sense of security.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
seamoose
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They say that due to the nature of the beast Its suposed to go into alert mode and look toward the noise then seeing the motorcycle gently run off into the safety of the woods . Wouldn't help if you're on a dirt bike . you would need the reverse acting one . And if you were on a dual sport you would be screwed !
this is asuming all of our local deer have been educated on this reaction thing .
Thanks for the running board idea I'll look at that tomorrow and I'll check out the HD mounting on the site . Gotta hit the rack , work at 5a . Thanks again
Oh ' I never ride in Wisconsin so those deer don't matter !

Last edited by seamoose; 11-29-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

If a semi barreling down the road does not convince a deer to not run in front of them, don't think anything else will be of much help. Save your money.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:14 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had one on the bike and never had one on the truck and never hit a deer so if you don't have one, you won't hit a deer.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think they make much difference. Had a deer run into the side of my truck where the bed and cab meet few years ago. If the deer are on the side of the road I usually see them and slow way down and watch their reactions. If they are running out of the woods they are probably as surprised to see you as you are them.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 AM
jake0matic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased one of the Hornet deer whistles after I mangled my brand new truck in November 2006. I don't swear by them but it can't hurt to have one either and let's face it, if it cost's 60.00 and saves your a#$ one time it has paid for it's self, if not well I've wasted more money than that before that never paid me back. I have had some deer run out in front of me before since I started using this but I saw their eyes before they ran in front of me, was it the whistle that got their attention or something else? Who knows and who can ever be sure of what gets their attention. I mounted mine at the right side of the bike by the floorboard, I will send you a picture later if you like.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The deer whistles have been a point of contention for years. Do they work or not, hell man I don't know. When I was a leased owner operator the ins. co. would give them to their customers. They must of had some confidence in their effects upon the wildlife. One thing I have noticed about the cheap whistles is that a deer seems to stand still or move away from you when you pass by them. I recently bought a set for our vehicles. In the house I blew thru them. the one that we couldn't hear really got the attention of my labrador retreiver. Haven't had any experience with the expensive electronic ones but I just thought I'd relate what I've experienced with the cheap ones. Oh ya, I've never hit a deer with the cheapies on but then again I've only ever hit one deer in 2.5 million miles of driving also.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I know of a number of people who put their faith in the deer whistles. They didn't work for them.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Wild animals are unpredictable. You stand the same chance of hitting an animal with one of these devices as you do without one.

Quick Reply: Hornet deer advoidance unit