Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!

I recently put the kit on my Classic.

easy install, nice complete kit, but quite costly.

Now that I have an easily detached tourpak, it's got a nice spot on the shelf in the garage- and I really think it'll stay there until the next big trip.

These trips don't just happen, they are planned---and if my plan were to include 30 minutes to put the tour pak on and 30 minutes to remove it afterwards- I could have saved a bundle of cash by just using the stock hardware and adding time to my plan.

I really don't think I'll be mounting the tourpak when I am in town. kind of nice not to have that extra weight up there swinging around. and i don't really need the space.

I don't regret buying the kit, but wish I had thought it through a little better- I may have decided to do something else with that money.

MK

Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the quick detach system. I have both the King & chopped tour pak's plus a passenger backrest/rack combo and like the fact I can change the looks of the bike that easy!

Attached Thumbnails Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!-ultrastandard-018.jpg   Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!-ultrastandard-005.jpg   Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!-dscf0602.jpg   Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!-xd-1-039.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 02:04 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it and I want one.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought one for my FLHT along with a $125 generic (Chinese) tour pak. I matched up the pak to the rack, drilled (4) holes and bolted it on. On/off in seconds and it does store away conveniently. Decent set-up for $270 ......

Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the detach kit on my 04 EGC and it was the best money I spent for accessories. It takes 2 minutes to take off and on and I would go back and forth all the time. I will eventually get one for my 2011 RGU but the price is a bit higher now plus the rear speakers make it a little more complicated I guess.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Like you, I rarely mount the pack except for the long trips. However, I have found it handy locally three or four days a year.

It is pricey, but I think one has to look at the cost of leaving the pack off, not putting it on. I don't like the looks of a pack on my SG, but I need it now and then. So the price of the detach is worth it for me to leave that ugly thing home.

Beary

Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got one for mine as well. It was pretty expensive with the detachable hardware, I want to say 1,400 for everything and painted to match, but I'm not positive anymore. Like most people I don't have it on often, but when we take trips to Sturgis etc... it definitely comes in handy. The wife also prefers it's comfort over the regular sissy bar.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and I love it. I change formats more regularely than you which is why I probably feel it has more value. My wife way prefers riding pillion with the Pak on so if we are out for the day then the Pak goes on.

Ref comment on speakers, not a big issue disconnecting the wiring once you have it sorted

Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I ride solo 100% of the time and I prefer the solo look ,so I opted not to install the QD Kit.Like the OP said,it only takes 20 mins to intsall the pac for the couple of big trips I take in a yr.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When I purchased my King one of the things I had them throw in was a 4 point docking system and a med. sissy bar and bake rest pad. Now I didn't need a 4 point, a two point would have done the job but I knew down the road I wanted a tour pack.

I prefer to ride solo, but during the school year I drop my 14 year old son off at school in the mornings. So, I need some place to carry his helmet. So the tour pack does stay on a lot more than I like.

The wife does like to ride. We went to the Galveston Tx rally earlier this month.

I have a Ultra tour pack so I have wiring to connect to which is also no big deal. I can still have it on and off in two min.

Either way it's better to have it and not use it than it is to need it and not have it.

Now I just need it all in Black!!!!

Quick Reply: Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!