Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

..... mine's mounted w/a QD and i used to take it off & put it on depending on what kind of riding I was doing @ the time.
........... lately though it just stays on as i've grown to appreciate the look & love the extra lights in back. ...... but I can still get'r off in a hurry to wash/wax

Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 531 Posts

had the qd on my last bike for me it was a waste of money it never came off once a year for the big wash.wife rides on back 90% of the time and she wont have it off.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a tour pak/qd on my Road King and never took it off.Seems like everything I have loaded in the pizza box I absolutely have to have.Even for a ride across town.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

No regrets here. Mine is on and off the bike so often that I have worn out the bushings. I put it on for the weekend when my wife rides with me and take it off Sunday night for the work week when I mostly ride solo. If the occassion comes up during the week and my wife will ride it takes all of 5 minutes to mount. It was worth every penny.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes less than a minute to take off and about two to put on. It is great for trip. I use it going/coming and take it off when I arrive.

Best money spent when it comes to the Tour Pak.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by soos
....If the occassion comes up during the week and my wife will ride it takes all of 5 minutes to mount...
I can remember the days it took me 5 minutes to mount the wife as well, but I wouldn't want to discuss that on this forum necessarily...

Old 11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I keep thinking about doing this, 'cause the bikes sure do look good without the TP. But then I think about all the crap I throw in there, and how convenient it is when I need to run by the store, and I just can't see taking it off.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My King has been QD accessorized almost to a Ultra level, yet I can pull it down to a solo with just a shield or open as I feel the need. Just a good all round ride; Tour Pak makes the long rides much more comfortable too.

Attached Thumbnails Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!-dsc02254.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had it on my '07 RG, and almost never rode without the tp. Got sick of dealing with the rattles, finally made my own bushings - it it hadn't been so expensive, I would have converted it to fixed mount!

The RGU doesn't have detachable hardware available yet, but I won't be changing when the MoCo comes out with it. To me, the RGU would look funny w/o the tp, unless you pulled the lowers, too....

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
I keep thinking about doing this, 'cause the bikes sure do look good without the TP. But then I think about all the crap I throw in there, and how convenient it is when I need to run by the store, and I just can't see taking it off.
Yeah, I put the QD kit on my '09 Ultra about a year ago. When the wife rides the Tour Pak must be installed and I find I am leaving it on more than I am riding without the tour pak. It is rather nice having a place to quickly put your stuff and lock it. I travel a lot and being able to chunk your suitcase in there is pretty handy.......I am actually considering going back to the stock mount and quit messing with it......the extra taillights are a bonus also.....kinda gets right back to why I bought an Ultra in the first place.
When I get back off this trip I think I will just take it all off and return to stock.....watch the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Detachable T/P kit- worth it? Maybe/maybe not!