Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS wheels on Non ABS bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't be positive at the moment but I do believe the NON ABS bearing is wider than the ABS.

I know from experience back in 08. Got a smoking deal on some SG wheels (non abs) and bolted them on my ABS Ultra. The stack up was wider cuz I had to spread the forks which alerted me to a problem and a simple look through the books confirmed it wasn't gonna work until I put the right bearings in the wheel.

Makes sense that the abs bearing is narrower

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Can't be positive at the moment but I do believe the NON ABS bearing is wider than the ABS.

I know from experience back in 08. Got a smoking deal on some SG wheels (non abs) and bolted them on my ABS Ultra. The stack up was wider cuz I had to spread the forks which alerted me to a problem and a simple look through the books confirmed it wasn't gonna work until I put the right bearings in the wheel.

That's the way I understood it from the parts guy, but he said "all" bearings. Seems to me it should only be one bearing on the front and one on the rear that should be narrower for the ABS so I should only need to replace those two bearings. I guess I will measure them when I get the other wheels and compare them to mine.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sargergp
That's the way I understood it from the parts guy, but he said "all" bearings. Seems to me it should only be one bearing on the front and one on the rear that should be narrower for the ABS so I should only need to replace those two bearings. I guess I will measure them when I get the other wheels and compare them to mine.
True but one little detail in the book,

Front wheel
Remove right bearing 1st (regular bearing both models) then remove ABS bearing 2nd. Install ABS bearing (encoder) 1st and then install regular bearing.

So according to the book, you have to remove both bearings to change either and once removed are considered junk.

Another thing, buy a wheel install kit (NON ABS) comes with bearings, new rotor bolts, and maybe the spacers and is cheaper than buying just bearings by themself.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Disclaimer

All of my knowledge on subject is from what I have experienced with my 08 FLHTCU and had the 08 parts and service manuals. Manuals have been sold.

I now have the 2011 Touring parts book and the setup appears the same on the front end.
The rear appears to have 4 bearings (3 regular and 1 ABS).

This could be the same on 09's as that was the year they went to 180's. Best bet is to verify all of this free info with your dealer

Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdp

Nope. And don't ask me why I know!! Alright, I'll tell ya.

First, the ABS bearing on a non-ABS bike is WIDER. Is it that the accompanying spacers are the actual "wider' pieces? I'd have to yank the wheels off the black bike to confirm. No offense, I'm working too many hours to desire all that extra work to measure them. But here's how I know, I have two 09's. One has ABS, the other doesn't. Last year I installed black Agitator's on my sig pic bike. This year I went with the chrome (though 19" front) for the Roadie. When I simply changed the wheel part numbers on my parts list from last year, I goofed and forgot to change the quantity of the non-ABS bearings. I get home late all jazzed up about getting the new shoes on the baby and I'm at it until 3am. I know I'm tired, but why so hard to lift the wheel into place. I'm not THAT damn tired! Then I remembered, different spacers ........ different bearings. Dammit!! So, tomorrow morning I'll be removing the ABS bearing and installing the non-ABS one. DOH!!!!
Fortunately I have the right tool and my own lift. F & R drop-outs too!!

Yeah, sucks, but the fix should be easy and fairly quick. Hell, I'll likely spend more time moving crap out of the garage and taking stuff off the bike than I will fixing the problem. I will say this though, the new wheels already look W-A-Y better! I'll post pics when she's clean & worthy.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

When I installed my 21" front wheel, it had non-abs bearings...I did not know at first. Anyway, when I would tighten the axle nut to spec...it was pinching and the wheel would not turn.

I realized it came with non-abs bearings, I had the bearings replaced and the wheel installed no problem.

So, FWIW...