Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we talk stereos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Can we talk stereos?

I would like to upgrade my sound a bit, I have an '08 Road Glide with the stock Harmon Kardon system.

What I was thinking and I thought I'd run it by the experts, you guys, I want to put some fairing lowers on the bike, once I have those, I was thinking they would make a great place for a pair of high power oval 6"x9" marine speakers.

Has anyone installed speakers in their fairing lowers and how do you like them?

Do I need to put in a power amp as well or can the stock stereo drive them?

I was also thinking it might be necessary to replace the stock speakers in the dash and match them with the ones I install in the fairing lowers. Thoughts on that?

One more idea.... a third pair of speakers mounted facing upright on the lids of the hard bags. I don't know if that's practical or not.

What do you all think? Opinions please.

Oh, just in case you don't have a stereo, or hate listening to music, or don't agree with stereo's on bikes, or whatever, then no need to reply on this thread, I repect your viewpoint but you wont change mine. I would just like to hear postive feed back on how to achieve this mod. Thanks, much appreciated.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

They are trying to get an audio forum on the tech boards if you want to try posting there.

I just put the "new version" fairing lowers on my bike- they have considerabley less space than the old Evo style.

I see glove box to speaker mount conversions - smaller than 6X9- though.

And there are replacement saddlebags lids with speakers built in.

So there are options- depending on what you want to do and budget.

Additional speakers would very likely need added amplification.

MK

Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you will need an amp to power the 6x9s--they can be glassed in the lowers and sound quite good and you'll save your bag space.

it may not be necessary to have marine speakers -- a good pair of JBL, Pioneer, Infinity, Polk, etc. will get the job done.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search on forum member ctso030. He has a 2010 Road Glide with a pretty nice sound system.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. Speakers in fairing lowers--Easy to do with HD's vented fairing lowers using the speaker boxes from the '11 CVO Street Glide that use 6.5" speakers. Here's my installation with which I am extemely pleased:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ed-w-pics.html

To use vented lowers on a '09 or older Road Glide, you'll need to change three fairing brackets to those used on '10 Road Glides (costs about $100 or so). If you're going to use non-vented lowers, member sincecrazy makes speaker boxex.

2. Amplifier--You'll need to choose if you are willing to install an amp in the saddlebags or tour pak, or inside the fairing. The choices for in-fairing amps is somewhat limited; Arc, Hawg-Wired, J&M, and HogTunes are the most popular. You can check their websites for pricing and power.

3. Speakers in saddlebags--Some guys mount speakers facing the rear wheel and placed in the bottom of the bag. Loudlids and one or two others offer lids that accommodate speakers. I have no experience with them.

4. Subwoofer in tour pak--Hell's Foundry offers a kit that includes a sub and separate amp for mounting in tour pak. I have no experience with this product.

5. Fairing speakers--It's easy to buy adapters to install 6.5" speakers in the fairing. J&M offers 7.25" speakers for EG's and RG's.

6. Speakers in RG glove boxes--It's pretty easy to install speakers in the RG glove boxes. I have no experience with this; just seen what others have done.

7. Head unit--Unless you plan to add CB/Intercom, an aftermarket head unit with a Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface module to retain handlebar controls is probably a better choice since they're easier to work with for front/rear fader control/wiring, and offer the latest in ipod, XM, thumb drive, etc. features that either HD doesn't offer, or at far better pricing than HD provides.

Good luck with your research.

Carl

Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

go to hawg wired , they have a sale going, get their four in your face, they'll give you a 10% discount and throw in the tweeters, goggle it , on you tube a guy posted his bike with this system and it rocks, pm frank at drago's bike works (vendor page) he'll hook you up too, believe me this system rocks, you can run 90mph no helmet and hear the tunes perfect

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
cav1429
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hogtunes has a kit for just what your looking for and they said great highway six pack and it comes with a amp

Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your imagination & wallet are your only limitations !!!

Tons of options out there. Research ALL of them, then make your choices !!

Good Luck !!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

cool. Thanks everyone!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM
skimskim3074
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Your imagination & wallet are your only limitations !!!

Tons of options out there. Research ALL of them, then make your choices !!

Good Luck !!
Yup, just do a research. Hope u find the exact one.