Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Song to MP3 Converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM
TexasJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Song to MP3 Converter

Ok....lets see if there are any computer geeks secretly posing as bikers...

Does anyone have any advice on an MP3 converter? I want to burn a bunch of MP3s to a disk for my bike, but of course my iTunes songs are not in an MP3 format. Has anyone used a converter that has taken the iTunes song and made an MP3 copy of it that I can use to burn to a disc that they can recommend?

Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 AM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I could type it all out for you or just share this with you. Enjoy! Oh, since I didn't type it all out I'm not a geek, right? HAHAHA!

http://www.tech-faq.com/convert-itunes-to-mp3.html

Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

You can use iTunes,it's easy

Highlight the song (s)

Click Advanced (upper left of display)

Select "Create MP3 File" from the drop down menu

Unless you bought the music from iTunes with their stupid restrictions... It's More complicated then.(above my paygrade)

Old 11-27-2010, 08:12 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasJR
Ok....lets see if there are any computer geeks secretly posing as bikers...

Does anyone have any advice on an MP3 converter? I want to burn a bunch of MP3s to a disk for my bike, but of course my iTunes songs are not in an MP3 format. Has anyone used a converter that has taken the iTunes song and made an MP3 copy of it that I can use to burn to a disc that they can recommend?

check out this site, should help you out,
http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itun...p3_format.html

Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
You can use iTunes,it's easy

Highlight the song (s)

Click Advanced (upper left of display)

Select "Create MP3 File" from the drop down menu

Unless you bought the music from iTunes with their stupid restrictions... It's More complicated then.(above my paygrade)
I followed the steps but did not see "Create MP3 File". I saw a command called "Convert Selection to AAC". Is this the same as MP3?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I followed the steps but did not see "Create MP3 File". I saw a command called "Convert Selection to AAC". Is this the same as MP3?
No,that's coming up because your preferences are probably set to import music as AAC files,switch preferences to import as MP3 and you'll be able to convert files that aren't MP3's to that format

Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stopped burning disc because it is easier to plug the ipod into the radio. I got the cable at radio shack for a few dollars. I then use Velcro zip ties to strap the ipod to my bars. I made a separate file for riding music. Works great. But in order to create cd's, you can use your itunes following the steps that eviltwin wrote up

Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you purchased your music from iTunes then you will need a third party software such as melody can to convert the protected content, it is a paid software, not free. Demo version only converts 90 seconds. If you own the CDs you imported into iTunes then you can use iTunes to convert to mp3. Many reasons to convert instead of just using iPod, for instance, putting on sd card to play your library on your gps.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
iamrfixit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need any extra software, Itunes will do all of it.

If you purchased music in the last several months it is no longer protected, it will be listed as a "purchased AAC" file. These files can be converted easily, under the advanced menu select "create mp3 version"

If you purchased songs up to a few months ago the files are very likely "Protected AAC" format. These can't be converted to mp3 via the advanced menu.

The cheap and easy solution is to burn them to a regular audio cd, then import them back into Itunes again. You can change the preferences (options) of Itunes to import music as MP3, by default Itunes uses AAC format so you will need to change it.

If you purchase whole albums and burn them to audio CD this is the easy because Itunes will recognize the disc and fill in all the song names and tag info. If you just pick and choose random songs you will have to fill in all the song and artist names manually for re-import.

You could also go to the Itunes store, under the quick links you will find Itunes plus, for about 30 cents per song you can re download the unprotected versions of songs that you bought during the time they were protected, they would still have to be converted to MP3 though.

An even better solution is just get the cable and connect your ipod, all your music would be available all the time and multiple playlists. You could even buy one of the new shuffles just to leave on the bike, it is very compact and not very expensive, the battery lasts a long time and can be charged while on the bike, they easily hold a couple thousand songs with multiple playlists and you have no discs to mess with.

Last edited by iamrfixit; 11-27-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:25 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ultra simple way to convert the songs that you have into MP3's is to go into Itunes and right click on the song and you'll see Create MP3 version.

Now to download MP3 into Itunes you need to go into your settings folder and set it to MP3 (one of the links that was sent previously will show you how).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: iPod Song to MP3 Converter