Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing my new apes...first of MANY questions I'm sure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing my new apes...first of MANY questions I'm sure...

Ok, so I am at the point where I need to remove my old bars. I realize to remove the back two clamp bolts I will have to remove the radio, but the two front allen bolts are WAY too close to the inner fairing to get ay sort of angled allen or socket or anything in there. Vice Grips? Oh and that chrome plastic thingy around the radio doesn't hang any lower than the inner fairing itself.

If I have to remove the inner fairing to do this I am going to projectile vomit while slitting my own throat with a screwdriver while setting fire to my garage.

As a side note, did you guys wait to get your bars off to remove the TBW? It seems like it would be easier to feed slack into the bars with them off.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:52 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take my inner fairing off. It is not totally off, just unbolted and hanging. I followed the manual but don't recall if it told me to or not. So far I am just tore down waiting for my bars.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

grrrrrrrrr....I know some of you have said you didn't have to mess with the inner. I would be forever grateful if you wouldn't mind sharing the magic.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

I had a beer, and it came to me. Loosen the risers. that was it! Surely the next roadblock is on it's way! Stay tuned!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:28 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

After I had the radio removed I was able to get an allen wrench in there, but i didn't have a painted inner fairing so I was able to bend the part in the way up enough to get the wrench in there.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer

It's really not that much trouble taking the inner fairing off. Pull the side marker lights off, they hold the fairing in place, and disconnect the wiring then roll it back and get it out of the way. I farted around trying not to take it off and the manual has you doing all other kinds of crap but just take a look. You'll be surprised how easy it is actually and when it's off you've got the all the room in the world to do your work.
Good luck!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 AM
ironfist_001
Advanced

i have a quick ? for you , it looks like the handle bars are egg shaped (flattend}at the risers in the picture, i was thinking bout rolling my bars up a tad, but it doesnt look possible now.... is that the case, btw i have an 09 flhx.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
Ok, so I am at the point where I need to remove my old bars. I realize to remove the back two clamp bolts I will have to remove the radio, but the two front allen bolts are WAY too close to the inner fairing to get ay sort of angled allen or socket or anything in there. Vice Grips? Oh and that chrome plastic thingy around the radio doesn't hang any lower than the inner fairing itself.

If I have to remove the inner fairing to do this I am going to projectile vomit while slitting my own throat with a screwdriver while setting fire to my garage.

As a side note, did you guys wait to get your bars off to remove the TBW? It seems like it would be easier to feed slack into the bars with them off.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
I know I'm a little late, but maybe for future reference, I did not have to remove the inner to get those bolts out. It was very close though. I did have the push up on the inner to get the allen in there.

I removed my bars with everything attached but the clutch and brake cable. I just disconnected the switches and TBW.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 AM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did my bars last week and took pictures of the whole process. I haven't had time to label the pictures nor have I added any comments. I'm having my mirror holes filled and the inner fairing painted so it's not done yet, but you'll get the idea.

Here are the photos
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ars/?start=all

Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Originally Posted by StreetGeezer
It's really not that much trouble taking the inner fairing off. Pull the side marker lights off, they hold the fairing in place, and disconnect the wiring then roll it back and get it out of the way. I farted around trying not to take it off and the manual has you doing all other kinds of crap but just take a look. You'll be surprised how easy it is actually and when it's off you've got the all the room in the world to do your work.
Good luck!
I swapped my inner fairing a couple of months ago. While it wasn't hard, messing with it wasn't something I was dying to do. I am replacing my bushings so I just removed the bolts and it all made plenty of room. At the moment, old bars off...wiring new bars this evening.

Quick Reply: Installing my new apes...first of MANY questions I'm sure...