Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerlet Plug for Heated Gear Other Acc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010 | 06:21 PM
D2R
|
Banned
Default Powerlet Plug for Heated Gear Other Acc.

These are great little plugs.Got tired of the coax flopping around under the seat and fumbling around for it when plugging in the heated gear.These plugs are much smaller,better conductive surface and connect together better than a standard cigarette lght. plug.If you're not hard wiring your acc. in ie.GPS,heated gear,satelite radio I think these would be the way to go.I also made a little pigtail for the battery tender.

Attached Thumbnails Powerlet Plug for Heated  Gear Other Acc.-powerlet-plug.jpg   Powerlet Plug for Heated  Gear Other Acc.-powerlet-plug-001.jpg   Powerlet Plug for Heated  Gear Other Acc.-powerlet-plug-002.jpg   Powerlet Plug for Heated  Gear Other Acc.-powerlet-plug-003.jpg   Powerlet Plug for Heated  Gear Other Acc.-powerlet-plug-005.jpg  

Old 11-26-2010 | 06:44 PM
DMorr99
Road Master

I have used the Powerlet Power Bar on my last three hogs for GPS power with no complaints. I highly recommend Powerlet.

Old 11-26-2010 | 08:05 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior

these guys are great to do business with! Last year I bought the saddle bag set up to use for a ipod charger or phone charger, and I will use it this winter for the first time as a tender plug... everywhere I go people wonder how I got the power through the hard bags, and when they look they are blown away how clean of a look it is! And I tell ya I love it!

Old 11-27-2010 | 05:13 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain

I've used Powerlet sockets and plugs for years, though until about five years ago I just called them "BMW sockets and plugs", because BMW has used them since at least the 70s. It made it convenient for me to just install Powerlets on my Harleys and then on my Kawasaki KLR 650 so that my heated clothing and Battery Tenders would work on everything.

Powerlet will sell you a very nice chrome bracket to mount a socket on the horn mounting stud if you prefer not to have the setup shown in the fourth picture above (looks uncomfortable.) That bracket worked nicely on my 07 RK, but the wiring seemed too tight on my 09 UC, so I installed the Powerlet socket on a bracket I made and installed instead of the passenger intercom outlet below the left rear speaker (I never have a passenger.)

Another supplier of Powerlet products that I generally use is http://easternbeaver.com/, which is a bit cheaper than ordering from the company itself. EB actually ships the stuff from Japan (I think he must be an American living in Japan), but I receive it in about a week.

Old 11-27-2010 | 07:27 AM
bobclift
Advanced

I'd like to see the mounting options you all have come up with for your powerlet. I know I want to mount one for easy battery charging and for my portable air compressor and maybe my I-Pod too - I'm just not sure where (out of the way yet convenient). Thanks.

Old 11-27-2010 | 09:55 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

I like the idea of the horn mounting bracket. My question is this, someone said that this is what BMW uses. The accessory plug on the Gerbing web site says it is for BMWs, it looks like a Powerlet plug (This link). Will it work? Will it power a dual thermostat? I was thinking about using a permanent dual control thermostat, but the only place I can think to mount it is on the bottom of the fairing.

Thanks,
Cale

Last edited by Navy UC Rider; 11-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2010 | 10:44 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp

Looks like I'm sold. Love neat little projects like this. Thanks for the post.

Old 11-27-2010 | 10:47 AM
D2R
|
Banned

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I've used Powerlet sockets and plugs for years, though until about five years ago I just called them "BMW sockets and plugs", because BMW has used them since at least the 70s. It made it convenient for me to just install Powerlets on my Harleys and then on my Kawasaki KLR 650 so that my heated clothing and Battery Tenders would work on everything.

Powerlet will sell you a very nice chrome bracket to mount a socket on the horn mounting stud if you prefer not to have the setup shown in the fourth picture above (looks uncomfortable.) That bracket worked nicely on my 07 RK, but the wiring seemed too tight on my 09 UC, so I installed the Powerlet socket on a bracket I made and installed instead of the passenger intercom outlet below the left rear speaker (I never have a passenger.)

Another supplier of Powerlet products that I generally use is http://easternbeaver.com/, which is a bit cheaper than ordering from the company itself. EB actually ships the stuff from Japan (I think he must be an American living in Japan), but I receive it in about a week.
It's not uncomfortable.I just had to move my leg to take the picture.The lead off the heated jacket drops straight down to the plug,don't even no it's there.Nice and short run and not flopping around in the breeze. www.powerletproducts.com They've got several different plugs and adapters,delivered in 3 days

Last edited by D2R; 12-02-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2010 | 11:11 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Thanks for the tip. Putting one of those in the plastic heat shield looks like a great spot for heated gear.

Old 11-27-2010 | 12:06 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master

bobclift - I use a Powerlet Plus socket on my bars for my GPS and iPod so I can remove them and keep a clean look.

[IMG][/IMG]

And I put their hard/soft luggage plug in the inner wall of my left saddlebag to charge my mobile phone and camera batteries while I'm traveling. I got the Powerlet cigarette lighter/SAE splitter and then use the car chargers for my electronics. The saddlebag plug is an SAE outlet, like battery chargers, so I can charge the bike's battery through it as well.

Navy UC Rider - That does look like the Powerlet plug on the Gerbing adapter. I had the Powerlet horn mount on my RKC at first but I never used it because I needed adapters and extension cords to reach my saddlebag for the phone or my waist for the Gerbing dual controller. I was also concerned with possibly melting the cable with it so close to the engine and stock rear header. So I went with the saddlebag outlet and ran the Gerbing power cable for the Gerbing gear. i brought the connector up, wiretied it to the frame and tuck the connector into a hole in the frame gusset until I need it.
If you do go with the horn mount outlet I'd suggest figure out how you'll run the adapter, measure the distance and have Powerlet make you the adapter, with a right angle Powerlet plug, so there aren't too many connections and to keep the wiring clean.

Quick Reply: Powerlet Plug for Heated Gear Other Acc.