Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use the Yaffe supersize kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use the Yaffe supersize kit?

I'm looking to install 12" Monkey Bars on my Street Glide. I spoke with Paul Yaffe yesterday & he said that I would need the supersize kit (it's a longer cable kit) & that it would make installation easier. Does anyone have experience with the kit?

Also, I was going to order the bars from J & P Cycles because they have their "Black Friday Sale" going on. Because I'm a gold member I would qualify for a 15% discount & they also gave an additional 5% discount code. When I spoke to Paul he said that he wouldn't be able to match J & P's price but he also didn't think they would have the bars in stock. Well, he was right. They advertise them for less but don't have them in stock nor could they give me a date when they would get them in...WTF?!

Last edited by thecort; 11-25-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

With the 12s you don't really need to extend the wires. I went with the magnum sterling chromite cables, +8 on the clutch and +6 on the brake. If you reposition the molex connectors under the radio there is plenty of wire. I would get the SE TBW that has the plug at the bottom instead of in the bars. You might get a molex tool it will make the job easier. You will need a gasket for the clutch cover and the derby cover. Get a set of long ball end allen sockets. They make removing the radio easy and you can take the clutch cover off without removing the exhaust. I don't know how much the supersize kit is but do a search I read somewhere the cables weren't that great.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
With the 12s you don't really need to extend the wires. I went with the magnum sterling chromite cables, +8 on the clutch and +6 on the brake. If you reposition the molex connectors under the radio there is plenty of wire. I would get the SE TBW that has the plug at the bottom instead of in the bars. You might get a molex tool it will make the job easier. You will need a gasket for the clutch cover and the derby cover. Get a set of long ball end allen sockets. They make removing the radio easy and you can take the clutch cover off without removing the exhaust. I don't know how much the supersize kit is but do a search I read somewhere the cables weren't that great.
Good to know. Where did you order your bars from?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by thecort
Good to know. Where did you order your bars from?
Dr. V-Twin.
It took forever. Not their fault. If everyone is out of stock it takes a couple of months for Yaffe to get a batch done and fill all of the backorders. They were worth the wait for me and DR V-Twin's communication and service were excellent. They are really comfortable to ride with and I get tons of compliments on how they look. I started looking at 10s and procrastinated and by the time I decided on 12s they were out of stock everywhere. The install is pretty easy. Wiring the bars is a pain though. Make sure the pins lock in the molex connectors and check and double check the wire positions. Clutch and brake line are no big deal.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:57 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Thank you for the advice.

Does the molex tool also help remove the connectors? If the connectors are what i'm thinking of, then I used a pick tool to remove them from my V-rod connectors (it wasn't the right tool but it worked).

I wonder if Dr. V-Twin has a pair of, chrome, 12"s in stock.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

I used a pick also but the tool makes it easier. You can get it from O'rielys I think.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Finnster1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thecort
Thank you for the advice.

Does the molex tool also help remove the connectors? If the connectors are what i'm thinking of, then I used a pick tool to remove them from my V-rod connectors (it wasn't the right tool but it worked).

I wonder if Dr. V-Twin has a pair of, chrome, 12"s in stock.
The "paperclip tool" worked perfectly on my wifes Sportster.

There are 12" Yaffe's on Ebay right now with free shipping.

I want 10's and BaggerNation told me 2-3 weeks.... Cant find black 10's anywhere. I got a set of Wild 1 12.5's in the garage. I am going to compare the 10" Monkeys with before I decide on which one. The I will just sell the un-used one.

These are pretty good guys to deal with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1795wt_948

Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
thecort
Road Captain

I assume that O'reilys is an auto parts store. We don't have them around here (at least i've yet to see one). I'll check Harbor Freight or Pep Boys. Cool, thanks.

BTW, from what I can see in your sig pic, your bars look awesome! It's got me thinking whether or not to go with 14's. I'm 5'9' & wonder wether it'll be too high of a reach.

Oh, how much can you pull the bars towards yourself? I'd like to sit up straighter than I do now with the stock bars. I'm definitely leaning forward & it gives me a pain in my neck (3 herniated disks). I'm hoping that'll help a little.

Last edited by thecort; 11-26-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Finnster1
The "paperclip tool" worked perfectly on my wifes Sportster.

There are 12" Yaffe's on Ebay right now with free shipping.

I want 10's and BaggerNation told me 2-3 weeks.... Cant find black 10's anywhere. I got a set of Wild 1 12.5's in the garage. I am going to compare the 10" Monkeys with before I decide on which one. The I will just sell the un-used one.

These are pretty good guys to deal with:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1795wt_948

I'll check 'em out thanks.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

The 10" yaffes will be as tall as the wild ones 12.5s. My 12" monkeys measured 14" on my counter top. They are about 2" taller than my friends 13" HCC. His are a bit wider. Not a knock, his look great also. If you go with 14" you will need to extend the wiring. I have mine pushed up against the fairing but I have long arms. They would look good pulled back an inch or two.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the Yaffe supersize kit?