Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camera and mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Camera and mounts?

Hey all - anyone have suggestions for a small video camera and mount for the bike - I've got a RKC and was wondering what to use and where a good place to mount it is.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

For mounts, try RAM or Leader Cycle Accessories.
For a camera......up to you

Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 AM
BigTM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Go Pro Hero camera. Its available on Ebay and amazon. It takes videos and still all in hd. I like the stills timed every 60 seconds. Lots of mounting options and water proof case too. I may get one for x mas. T

Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
francodanco
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the Go Pro.
Mounts easily to the engine guard and nice view.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 AM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Ultra and have used the Go Pro Hero HD for about a year now. It came with a suction cup mount which I place on the inside of my windshield and have the camera pop up, like a periscope, just above the top if the windshield. The video and audio quality is outstanding. One bit of advice, though, because our Harleys vibrate so much, it's best to mount the camera on as short an arm as possible to reduce "shake" in your images. The camera has a vibration stabilizer that is very effective fortunately. By the way, this camera suction mount was placed on the outside of a race car and in spite of speeds over 100MPH it didn't let go. Nonetheless, I have mine on a safety tether-just in case. Great way to save memories of trips.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cyclegadgets sell the MotoComm RiderCam30F Digital Video Camera with lots of ways to attach to your bike. It's Hi Def, small and sells for under $200.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>I have mine on a safety tether-just in case.<<

I use them too. I call them, "Last Hope Ropes" or "Jesus Strings."

Old 11-24-2010, 06:19 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bPNlv6pIII

I hope the link works. I use an RCA SMALL WONDER sd/hd mini camera. It records to a memory card.

I have a SG and mount a ram mount ball to the hole where the mirror stem would be. My GPS is on the left side and my camera mount is on the right side. I use another ram mount ball on the camera where the tripod would attach and use a 3" ram arm.

The small wonder was cheap enough where if it was damaged, I would not be too upset. It is not waterproof.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What the others have suggested......good stuff.

These guys have some very nice stuff too:

http://www.techmounts.com/

Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Go to www.helmetcameracentral.com and you'll see most all the choices out there. As far as the best place to mount a camera it's on your head. That's the most vibration free and stabilized place on the bike. Not everyone wears a helmet so there's lots of methods to secure to the bike. Just realize that fixed mounting on the bike means you can't rotate and catch other riders like a helmet mount can. It also limits catching seamless video as groups mount up for a ride or stop at a destination. Unless of course everyone agrees to stand directly in front of your bike. Ain't gonna happen.
I'm far from an expert but I have been using one over the last 6 months. I bought a ContourHD by VholdR. It's the 720P version and it has performed flawlessly. There's a number of mounts available for it but I used the helmet mount. It's about the size of a silver dollar (black in color) and mounts to the helmet with special 3M tape. The camera has slots in the side that accept small male rails in the helmet mount. Pretty slick. The camera its self is smaller than a pack of smokes and can easily slip into the front pocket of your blue jeans. I wear a modular helmet and most people don't even notice the mount unless the camera is attached.
I noticed they have a newer version that has a GPS embedded in the camera. That way you can plot where you took the videos on a map. Sounds kinda like overkill but it's not. I took about 40 short videos, 2 to 4 minutes each on a recent trip out west. I'm still not sure exactly where I was in about 75% of them except for the state.

Quick Reply: Camera and mounts?