Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:31 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Made in Taiwan is a lot better than made in China. And they hate communists too...

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:54 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

All of the Leather...Jackets, gloves, etc.....Made in China
I have an older vest and jacket, both HD, made in USA
I refuse to buy any HD leather for twice the price of others.

Old 11-24-2010 | 08:59 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Most of the parts for my ironhead come from Taiwan. Among ironhead owners, it's called parts from "Taiwan Ted". Welcome to my world. They suck too. Much better to get used OEM parts from fleabay.

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:01 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
Welcome to the global economy.I would like to see all of the parts and labor be USA made again, but I doubt that will ever happen.

If it did happen, you would never be able to afford to buy one because the price would have to go through the roof just to pay for the labor. People gripe about the cost now, but if everything was made here, it would cost even more.

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:05 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer

Take a tour of the factory in York and you will see boxes from all over the world.

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:07 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

This is nothing new. In a way it's sad, but with any product made up of many parts, it's inevitable.

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:07 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser

Makes me wonder what a new HD would actually cost if ALL the parts we made in the U.S.

Old 11-24-2010 | 09:20 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by roadking2000
If it did happen, you would never be able to afford to buy one because the price would have to go through the roof just to pay for the labor. People gripe about the cost now, but if everything was made here, it would cost even more.
This is very true. The USA has become nothing but a bunch of middlemen in the supple chain. Through work I do a lot of purchasing of cast iron parts. I went to visit a foundry here in the US and there were about 10-15 people working there. They were all unloading castings from shipping containers. It did not look like they had poured a casting there in the last 5 years. Even the manufacturing companies have discovered it is cheaper to import the products and mark them up rather than deal with the labor and government issues. I have received quotes direct from China for castings and it is unbelievable how much of a price difference there is (China $8.50, USA $73.50). How can a small business compete with large corporations that purchase overseas when they are paying the lower price. It has gotten to the point where you cannot even have a product made in the US and stay in business. OK, getting off my soap-box now.

Old 11-24-2010 | 10:18 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

I am a big fan of buying locally produced product but as stated, this is a global economy and, with the greatest of respect - good old USA was one of the main drivers taking it in that direction.

Now....if everyone decided to buy 100% then HD wouldn't sell a bike outside the US. If they had to make all the product in the US and could only sell in the US then how long do you think they would last? It cuts both ways, and yes - it sucks both ways

Old 11-24-2010 | 01:29 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

it's been this way for years, you just now realized it ? My 1986 Heritage Softtail I bought probably 7k in accessories for it when it was new, probably 40% of them had stickers indicating they were made else where back then, so you think 24 years later it's better, no way , but when you buy Harley accessories they are made to their standard and generally hold up better and fit better

Quick Reply: Made in Taiwan