Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Guards??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
jwr50
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saddlebag Guards??

Just picked up a 2011 Ultra Limited (had to go for the Cool Blue/Black), and I'm trying to get as much riding in as I can before I put it up for the winter . . .

A question: unllike the Ultra Classic, the Limited does NOT come with the saddlebag guards. Are the saddlebag guards worth the extra $300 bucks? Do they offer any real protection, or are they mainly cosmetic?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They do offer protection. I took a hit on the right side hard enough to twist the passenger footboard completly off of the bike. The saddlebag guard bent and the bag got dented. I hate to think of what the rear of the bike would have looked like had the guard not been there...

Old 11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are not cosmetic, they are made to protect the engine and bags in the even of a tip over or low speed impact. Your limited like mine DOES have the rear guards. It is the single bars in front of your saddle bags. I am looking into adding the curved sweeping kind that are on some road kings to add to the protection of the rear saddle bag bottoms. This has been done by some on this fourm so I know it will work and add to the nice azz look of my bike. Anyway, I hope this helped answer your question, stay safe and keep the shiney side up.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Look in my signature pic, see the guard? Unless your has been removed in which case I do not suggest. The first time your bike decides to take a nap on ya, mucho deneiro in damage to your bags without that bar. I dont know about you but I paid WAY to much hard earned coin for my bike for it to get damaged by a mishap or something. Anyway, enough of me ranting on. Stay safe.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are definitely good protection.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Freebee
Tourer

Good protection...but a PITA to clean/wax the bags with em on !!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:02 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They must offer good protection, because they cant possibly be cosmetic

Old 11-23-2010, 01:14 PM
gmc
Road Warrior

They offer some protection in a slow tip over (only scratch the bottom edge, not noticable)but if in an accident not much since they bend into the bags and also bend the fender where they hook on and in some cases may cause more damage than without. I've been down twice, once hit a car that did a u-turn and stopped in the middle of a curve and once when changed lanes and hit a box w roofing paper in it so ask me how I know. I've replace the rear guards w just the street glide saddlebag supports since I wanted a clean look. I figured there is going to be some damage anyway but hope never to find out.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are great protection. I was rear-ended in Austria by a Honda ST-1300. I missed a 180 degree switchback and came to a sudden stop, the guy behind me used me for extra stopping power. Anyway, his front tire hit dead center on my right guard, his break rotor caught my exhaust pipe, and his nose dove under my tour pack. Damages for me are a warped guard, he had to replace all his brake hardware and had to have some work done on his forks. I can fix my bike for $100, I found the parts breakdown of the guards, I can just order what I need.

I AM A BELIEVER IN THEM!!!

Cale

Old 11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
jwr50
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
They are not cosmetic, they are made to protect the engine and bags in the even of a tip over or low speed impact. Your limited like mine DOES have the rear guards. It is the single bars in front of your saddle bags. I am looking into adding the curved sweeping kind that are on some road kings to add to the protection of the rear saddle bag bottoms. This has been done by some on this fourm so I know it will work and add to the nice azz look of my bike. Anyway, I hope this helped answer your question, stay safe and keep the shiney side up.
Yep, I know the Limited has the main saddlebag guards that I see in your picture. My question relates to the additional "twin rail" saddlebag guards that the UC, but not the Limited, have. Do they offer any real additional protection, or are they mainly for looks?

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Guards??