Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Guards??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the opposite and took mine off because I like the cleaner look. I figured the guard in the front of the saddlebag should protect it from a slow tip over. I'd see the main advantage of keeping them on is if your bags did come loose you wouldn't lose them on the road. If you do decide to buy the rails they are, or at least were, all over Ebay.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

They are absolutely protection for those EXPENSIVE bags. In fact I literally did not take delivery of my '09 RK until the bag rails had been installed.

Things happen and that includes a slip/drop of the bike and down she goes. That's an expensive drop of you don't have bag rails.

Another thing not thought of as much is sometimes after having removed the bags for cleaning you put them back on. Only to realize later that you didn't secure the twist-bolts as well as you thought you did. Some here have discovered the mistake as the bag is falling off the bike and spinning away on the pavement behind you! Had there been bag rails the bag would just wobble around inside the rails and be undamaged. Yes it's happened a number of times.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fireguy5
I did the opposite and took mine off because I like the cleaner look. I figured the guard in the front of the saddlebag should protect it from a slow tip over.
They protect well in a fast tip over, too, like when I hit a dog in Oct. '09 at about 45mph and the bike took a dive on its left side and slid 50' down the highway. There was minimal damage to the saddlebag, mostly a few scratches, requiring only superficial repair and repainting. The guard was replaced, of course, but it sacrificed itself for the common good and did its job. I'm glad I added saddlebag guards to this SG when I first bought the bike.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Another thing not thought of as much is sometimes after having removed the bags for cleaning you put them back on. Only to realize later that you didn't secure the twist-bolts as well as you thought you did. Some here have discovered the mistake as the bag is falling off the bike and spinning away on the pavement behind you! Had there been bag rails the bag would just wobble around inside the rails and be undamaged. Yes it's happened a number of times.
I miss this with my SG, as my old RK had both side rails (Nostalgia) and lid rails as well. The side rails hold the bags in making removal easier, although I've adapted to not having them and have never had a problem. The top rails were also convenient since I used them as a handle to pick-up the bags, and they also protected against the occasional bump by my boot when mounting. The SG won't fit any type of rails, so I have no apparent option there, but if I did I would probably not add them, as by now I've grown accustomed to functioning without them. Besides, I really think rails of any type would look out-of-place on an SG.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Took mine off my '10 EGC. I like the cleaner look. They are best for minor impact like a car door or shopping cart. Just be careful where you park.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They make a classic bagger look complete!

I really notice the bikes that don't have them, they look like their missing something ... at least to me.

Don't they come stock on LEO vehicles? Maybe for a "real" reason?

Mentioned earlier was something about the bottom rails. They add support to the bags which only mounts on two tabs along the top of the bag. The rails have rubber mounts to add some protection too.

And yes it does give you protection, better at slow speeds, but still adds protection no matter how fast your go down.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Double Post

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-24-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Double Post