Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Guards??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reverend
So presumably you paid out for his damages too, as you'd stopped without warning, then?
Nope, he is lucky he was a friend, I probably would have punched him in the face. After his passenger cleaned her drawers out, we took his bike apart and made it rideable, then went back to camp. I found the parts breakdown, he will be fixing my bike.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

they contain the bags if the fastener comes loose.. i have had a fastener work loose before.. and have heard several storys of the bags sliding down the road by it self..

Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 AM
William The Red
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like boogaloodude I don't care for the way they look. I would like the protection for the bags, I have thinking about making some just one more thing to get around to.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:21 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Put the HD nostalgic rails on my SE. After having them on my Ultra, I really didnt like the looks of them without the rails. Does give some amount of protection and should the fastners come loose, bad scene to look in your rear view mirrors and seeing the bag sliding down the road.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I'd like to know how you "dent" ABS or fiberglass, it isn't going to happen, it either breaks or gets scratched it doesn't dent. By the way I don't like the looks so I'll take my chances, of course I don't have an engine guard either, but that was a different thread.
The impact bent the bar which in turn DENTED the saddlebag it was guarding. BTW from Webster's Ninth New Collegiate "Dent-a depression or hollow made by a blow or by presssure.

It is dented not broken or scratched.....

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're talking about the two horizontal bars that run along the bottom edge of the saddlebag? Then my "opinion" are that they are 95% cosmetic. The vertical bar at the front of the bags will take most of the tip over force that the engine crashbar doesn't. And in that RARE instance where the bike is hit from behind with a force EXACTLY at the horizontal bars height and forcing it EXACTLY forward, then yes they can be structural. Kinda like a straw being forced into a tree during a tornado. Those chances are slim though since most car bumpers and all truck bumpers are quite a bit higher. And even if they did - you'll have a lot more damage to deal with anyway.
I left the 5% for when the bags are not secured properly - they'll keep them on until you stop.
To see how week they are just pull up on the outside rear corner of them. They move REAL easy. Not much help holding up 900 lbs of bike!
My 2 cents worth.......

Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks are good, but the big bars only help the hard bags in a tip over on flat ground. If their are any other variables involved, the bags are likely to get at least a little damaged. Been there, done that.
My $0.02

aka Bob

Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's an old school look. I don't like the looks but then that's just my opinion.
I guess they would stop a door ding from a car and not loose the bag going down the highway. Neither one concerns me.

I did put the front bar on, just to help in a slow drop situation.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I did put the front bar on, just to help in a slow drop situation.
As one who has experienced a few slow drops, the front bar on a bike with extended bags are worthless. The only thing that might save those bags are highway pegs set real low on the engine crash guard and posssibly foot board extenders. Plus a metal plate on the bottom of the bags.

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbmunnoch
I have an 05 road glide that has the full saddlebag guards on it and was tossing around the idea of taking them off. I am not sure what years they are interchangeble but if someone wanted to trade their limited style crash bar for the ultra style saddlebag guard I would be interested.

I have a couple different sets of bag guards, just so I can swap out the look...
You should be able to use anything from '99-'07. The frame changed in '08, so those may not fit yer '05.

Last edited by CroK; 11-24-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Guards??