Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag Guards??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
jbmunnoch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 road glide that has the full saddlebag guards on it and was tossing around the idea of taking them off. I am not sure what years they are interchangeble but if someone wanted to trade their limited style crash bar for the ultra style saddlebag guard I would be interested.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
OmahaRoadKing
Cruiser

They also give you something to grab when you need to pick that pig up. I have dropped my Roadking once and my son dropped it twice…we are both able to pick it up by our selves…without the rear crash bars I don’t know how you would do it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I figure they offer bottom of the bag protection from a tip over and cosmetic. Just my .02.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
They must offer good protection, because they cant possibly be cosmetic
exactly..

I have a buddy that like to drink a little much, everytime we leave a bar he drops his 09 Street Glide. Before he rode it away from the dealership at time of purchase, he had them put on an extended engine gaurd and saddle bag gaurds and the rear bumper gaurd. I tell him all the time his bike looks like a bumper car...

Guy at the dealer was asking why he wanted all that stuff put on... he simply said it will get dropped alot, I want as little damage to it as possible, plus engine gaurds and bag gaurds are alot cheaper than having the bags primed and repainted once a week.

lmfao!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
I figure they offer bottom of the bag protection from a tip over and cosmetic. Just my .02.
I made the dealer throw them in for new bike. I don't want to destroy a saddle bag if I drop the bike. Also Momma is kind of partial to her feet... She is funny that way.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr50
Just picked up a 2011 Ultra Limited (had to go for the Cool Blue/Black), and I'm trying to get as much riding in as I can before I put it up for the winter . . .

A question: unllike the Ultra Classic, the Limited does NOT come with the saddlebag guards. Are the saddlebag guards worth the extra $300 bucks? Do they offer any real protection, or are they mainly cosmetic?
If you want to add them, you'll be able to find good take-offs on ebay. They were one of the first things I pulled off my ex-police bike. I don't care for the way they look, but lots of guys like them, so go figure.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Just picked up a 2011 Ultra Limited (had to go for the Cool Blue/Black), and I'm trying to get as much riding in as I can before I put it up for the winter . . .

A question: unllike the Ultra Classic, the Limited does NOT come with the saddlebag guards. Are the saddlebag guards worth the extra $300 bucks? Do they offer any real protection, or are they mainly cosmetic?
They appear to offer some decent protection,I've never dropped this bike to find out.As for looks,they look a lot like something you'd find on a Harley Davidson,Old School Cool.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
dhincc
Road Master

Something else ... from time to time on here you read about someone not properly securing a saddle bag, and losing it on the highway somewhere. That won't happen if you have the guards AND the rails. It'll come loose, but it won't fall off.

Ride safe.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
cdale976
Road Master

ask yuor dealer which guards fit i put the road king classic bars on mine and they keep the lines nice and protect as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
crescentmotor
Cruiser

Yep, I know the Limited has the main saddlebag guards that I see in your picture. My question relates to the additional "twin rail" saddlebag guards that the UC, but not the Limited, have. Do they offer any real additional protection, or are they mainly for looks?
I put the nostalgia saddlebag guards on my 2010 Limited for both looks and some additional protection. The sidebag guards aren't going to protect the bags from a violent collision or perhaps even a laydown but they will prevent the kind of incidental contact that could ruin your paint on the bags or result in a crack. As someone else said, if the bags were to become detached from the bike going down the highway, the guards would help ensure your bags don't wind up bouncing down the concrete.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlebag Guards??-img_3973.jpg  

Quick Reply: Saddlebag Guards??