Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing vs. Sharknose vs. Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
......... i wanna know sumpthin...... i've read in several threads lately that folks have demo'd CVO Road Glides (2 just this AM !) ........ where are you getting to do this ?? ....... folks @ my local dealerships just laugh when you ask if ya might be able to ride one !

.......... and re: wind protection, I get great coverage out of the Sharknose w/ lowers ..... except for the hand-on-grip area, which it seems the Bat would better cover. But ....... that's a small price to pay for all the other benefits of the shark.
As Teagan already said, at a factory demo day at a dealership.
I was able to get a few rides in on Road Glide Ultra, Road King and CVO Street Glide... plus others. Had events at 2 dealers within a couple weeks.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
DougM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'3" 230lbs. I've rented a RK and EGU and felt cramped on EGU. Windshield on RK shook so bad at stoplights it made me dizzy. It shook so bad I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out.

I took demo ride on 09 SERG. Great bike. Windshield too short to block wind and couldn't hear radio well. Still wanted a RG for the look and frame mounted fairing.

Got more serious about trading up from a Dyna so I took test ride on '09 rental RG. Better wind protection than the SERG.

Bought an '09 RG. Stock bars and windshield sucked. Bought XL? Clearview and WO 518 bars. Got Mustang seat with backrest. No buffeting. Butt doesn't hurt. Shoulders don't hurt. Back doesn't hurt.

I can hear radio great! Bike is like riding a La-Z-Boy down the highway! I can wear a hat while riding up to about 50-60 mph without it blowing off. I still want vented lowers but I can't image a RK, SG, or EGU being any more comfortable even though I think they all look cool in their own way.

My RG is like butter. I set the cruise, lay back, and glide through the wind. I can even ride without any hands on the bars and it tracks straight as an arrow.

Last edited by DougM; 11-23-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-24-2010, 06:18 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
I've owned all three.

* 2000 Road King Classic
* 2007 Street Glide
* 2010 Road Glide Custom

Least amount of wind/buffetting - Road King hands down. It generates no buffeting what-so-ever since it doesn't have a hard fairing redirecting the wind. The windshield also doesn't generate chop like hard fairings do, frame or handlebar mounted.

Best protection from the elements - Street Glide (but with a minimum of an 8" windshield, plus wind deflectors for underside of batwing, plus hard lowers). It provides better protection since batwing extends out in front of grips providing wind blockage for hands. Adding taller shield, deflectors, and hard lowers resolved 99% of the buffeting, and really made for a smooth rider experience.

Best handling - Road Glide handles better since it doesn't have any drag on the steering due to frame mounted fairing. I now have a 14" shield w/recurve and hard lowers, but I'm still having some minor issues with buffeting at speeds over 60. I don't really want to go with a taller shield, but function may take priority over form soon.

Batman has the right idea. RK + detachable fairing may provide a best-of-both-worlds experience.

YMMV.
+1 EXCELLENT!! evaluation of the three bikes. I'll stick with my RoadKing.
6'2" stock windshield - fabric lowers - NO PROBLEM with any buffeting.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 AM
don2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the difference to me was frame mounted or bar mounted i personaly don't like the buffeting on handlebars so i went w/ r/g

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been said, but yes, at 6'3", the Roadie will definitely feel less cramped. I have both ('09's) and can speak with some objectivity. Each one has its air gremlins depending on a few things. Most can be addressed as you 'fit' the bike to your size. They both get a lot of air coming up below their respective fairings and above/forward of the tank. The batwing has better hand coverage. The shark nose cuts through the wind with a smother ride by a wide margin. Like a semi-truck compared to a freight train. The batwing gets blown around (minor actually) a little while the shark feels squat. Should you opt for the Roadie Ultra, you'll have addressed the biggest complaints about the Roadie just by choosing the Ultra version. The batwing steers a little heavier only because everything is bolted to the forks while the Roadie is just the bars & gauges.
Try this, do yourself a favor (due to what you'll be investing, $$$), go to a dealer that rents, tell them you're considering a batwing and a roadie, ask to rent you 2 half-day rentals back-to-back. I did that years ago. I went in around 10AM, brought it back around 5PM, rode out with the other bike at about 5:30PM and brought 'that' bike back the next morning. Well worth hundred & change it cost me. Really, isn't it worth that small amount considering the money you'll soon have wrapped up in a new bike? Hell, we all know you'll spend way more than that on chrome or something before you even leave the dealership!
Food for thought. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll be pleased in the end.