Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
On the international models this valve acts as an exhaust pressure regulator giving good (?) torque and lowest possible emission conditions by combining a restrictive left muffler and an open right muffler.
At idle speed (throttle handle relaxed) both mufflers breathe together, then when you accelerate the restrictive muffler alone (left side) is selected until ~4,000 rpm then both sides are used for the rest of the acceleration. Load and temperature also change the combination.
Mine is working OK and I must admit the engine efficiency is there.
That valve is a great idea if it worked the way it was designed for, Harley is using this for sound control as well, the valve closes under heavy engine load making the right muffler the only muffler flowing exhaust this eats up hp and it does add torque but up to a certain point. At higher rpm's the pressure and heat that builds up in front of that valve is extreme and all this does is shorten engine life. If this Idea was used correctly, and when i say that i mean performance it would be used in conjunction with a free flowing exhaust and during low rpm with light or moderate throttle it would be at a closed or partial opened position this would aid in torque and efficiency, and then at high rpm half to w.o.t it would be wide open, this would be perfect. With that setup the 96c.i. could easily get 4Ompg in the city instead of 30 to 35mpg and you would gain torque in the lower rpm areas and have all the hp you want when you need it. This is what u call the active exhaust control and it is used this way on BMW, Mazda, Mercedes, and is a good add on for performance vehicles running turbos.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronp42
This is hard to believe! If it's true, How does the MoCo stay in business there? I love my Harley, but if that were the case here, I would not be buying their Bikes!!!
Yes, it's really hard to believe, but is true. In my city we have 25 harleys, all had problems from gas leaking in gas cap area to instruments innoperatives and some pipe failure like mine. HD Never changed or fixed any of these. did you forget we live in a third word country and big companys don't care about us?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
Yes, it's really hard to believe, but is true. In my city we have 25 harleys, all had problems from gas leaking in gas cap area to instruments innoperatives and some pipe failure like mine. HD Never changed or fixed any of these. did you forget we live in a third word country and big companys don't care about us?
I am very disappointed about this news. Have u written a letter to corporate about this problem. I agree with the statement earlier about HD not being the problem here instead it sounds like the Dealers are taking advantage of the difference in regulation and laws there. You need exposure, if your offered a warranty you should get it, and if the dealers are not honoring that they should have their license and franchise revoked

Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I am very disappointed about this news. Have u written a letter to corporate about this problem. I agree with the statement earlier about HD not being the problem here instead it sounds like the Dealers are taking advantage of the difference in regulation and laws there. You need exposure, if your offered a warranty you should get it, and if the dealers are not honoring that they should have their license and franchise revoked
I know personaly 11 of the 25 persons owning HD in my city. All of us wrote letters to HD Brasil, HD USA and the dealer. No answers...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know personaly 11 of the 25 persons owning HD in my city. All of us wrote letters to HD Brasil, HD USA and the dealer. No answers...
I think it's the dealer's in Brazil who want to charge the customer for the repair. They also probably charge it back to MOCO, as a warranty repair. Not MOCO's fault.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a bad situation for you. I know the Dealership's are individually owned, but they are representing the MoCo. Looks like Harley would step in and make sure you guy's are being taken care of. This is not good for the MoCo's reputation. Here's hoping you can get something done.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

Here in Brazil there are only one group exclusively representing HD, the GRUPO IZZO (Izzo Group) and they have stores in 7 cities. HD and Grupo Izzo are having a demand in court to solve this. But the contract between them only expires in 2015.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:46 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I think it's the dealer's in Brazil who want to charge the customer for the repair. They also probably charge it back to MOCO, as a warranty repair. Not MOCO's fault.
I agree, this is likely the issue. I was curious so I did some digging. The moco is trying to expand its Basil dealer network. Most hd product currently sold in Basil is gray market - purchased elsewhere and resold by non-authorized dealers. Don't know of any company that will pay for much warranty work performed by unauthorized shops. Time to stop moco bashing I think.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Here in Brazil there are only one group exclusively representing HD, the GRUPO IZZO (Izzo Group) and they have stores in 7 cities. HD and Grupo Izzo are having a demand in court to solve this. But the contract between them only expires in 2015.
Did you purchase your bike from Izzo, and was it a bike intended for your market?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
I agree, this is likely the issue. I was curious so I did some digging. The moco is trying to expand its Basil dealer network. Most hd product currently sold in Basil is gray market - purchased elsewhere and resold by non-authorized dealers. Don't know of any company that will pay for much warranty work performed by unauthorized shops. Time to stop moco bashing I think.
Yes, this happens, but parts are so expensive that we buy parts in USA, via EBAY or in stores like Zanotti's. Even paying import taxes and shipping, its cheapper than buying here.
We pay sometimes 5 times the price that the part costs in USA. I, personally, ask friends to bring me parts like brake pads, spark plugs and so on.

Quick Reply: Weld failure