Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 151 Posts

I'd say it's your dealer not honoring the warranty not MOCO, they see overseas sales as one of their best chances for expansion. I'd try to get a hold of HD customer service directly & see whet they have to say, worth a try.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
Here in Brazil, HD never honored a warranty. This is not the first case here in Brazil and nobody had the part replaced. Never replaced/fixed a single defective tire, compensator or anything else. We have to look for a good lawyer (Counselor?) and go to the court. It's the only way to make HD honor warranty.

Don't feel bad. Here in the States HD honors the warranty only when they're in the mood.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfDog
Not susprised, when I changed my pipes I found my all of my header nuts finger tight on the studs, with 2500 miles.......
When I changed my front pipe I went back a third time and took up the nuts on the studs because the gaskets shrink with heat.
Your bike is living proof that your "stealer" didn't do a good 1000 mile service as most any dealer will change the fluids and kick it out the door. These services are not performed by thier most skilled mechanics but probably the newbies and apprentice class guys. That's how they make boat loads of money.

Do your own minor repairs and all lube services.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Weld Failed? I read the thread but didnt see it?

It looks like the muffler clamp came loose and the slip on slipped off....?

Just curious so I know what to look for on my bike.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
CroK
Banned

I know my bike is older...

But, I'm curious why there is a weld there to start with. My rear exhaust is welded onto the second part of the header coming from the front cyl. No weld after that except for the weld on the muffler, just behind where the slip on clamps on, to mate the muffler with the smaller pipe. I'm almost inclined to believe it might be the muffler clamp also... ?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is that; 2010 or 2011? I can see the muffler clamp in your pic so it's not that. This is new exhaust's where the rear cyl pipe runs under the bike?

Not familar with those so I guess there is a weld but I cannot make out that rear cyl pipe in your pics. I wonder if the dealer put different pipes on.........bought new off showroom floor?

I know, a lot of questions. Good luck and like above post I would contact MOCO if the dealer balks. Unless Brazil is totally different then USA the dealer is an independent franchise and sounds like they are the bottleneck in getting warranty work done.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:46 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfDog
Looks like it was never welded.

Not susprised, when I changed my pipes I found my all of my header nuts finger tight on the studs, with 2500 miles.......

Quality is NOT what it was, and likely never will be.

People are just not interested in their work today like they were in the past...
But but unions bla bla bla

Old 01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

This is the "Exhaust Valve" and they are present only in international models. It's the place where the weld failed. In fact was not the weld that failed, but the pipe. My question is what's the purpose of this valve? As they are not in the bikes sold in the USA may I discard it and put a piece of pipe in it's place?

Attached Thumbnails Weld failure-exhaustvalve2.jpg   Weld failure-exhaustvalveclosed.jpg  

Last edited by cezariomaia; 01-09-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the "Exhaust Valve" and they are present only in international models. It's the place where the weld failed. In fact was not the weld that failed, but the pipe. My question is what's the purpose of this valve? As they are not in the bikes sold in the USA may I discard it and put a piece of pipe in it's place?
On the international models this valve acts as an exhaust pressure regulator giving good (?) torque and lowest possible emission conditions by combining a restrictive left muffler and an open right muffler.
At idle speed (throttle handle relaxed) both mufflers breathe together, then when you accelerate the restrictive muffler alone (left side) is selected until ~4,000 rpm then both sides are used for the rest of the acceleration. Load and temperature also change the combination.
Mine is working OK and I must admit the engine efficiency is there.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here in Brazil, HD never honored a warranty. This is not the first case here in Brazil and nobody had the part replaced. Never replaced/fixed a single defective tire, compensator or anything else. We have to look for a good lawyer (Counselor?) and go to the court. It's the only way to make HD honor warranty.
This is hard to believe! If it's true, How does the MoCo stay in business there? I love my Harley, but if that were the case here, I would not be buying their Bikes!!!

Quick Reply: Weld failure