Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator replaced under warranty??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
kevdon
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

just got mine replaced with screamin eagle one last week. no issues with the dealer. 50.00 esp plan.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 AM
psalwasser
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08 RK standard had a leaky rim bead on belt side rear tire. told them it took 12-15 lbs every 3 to 4 weeks, on the rear only. I did the soap test - no nails - just the inside bead blowing little bubbles. First service rep says "we'll replace the tube" - I said its tubeless. oh, 2 reps says "we'll mount it and remount it" and I say "ok". I go back the next day to get it and a 3rd and 4th service rep say. "It did not leak any pressure in the 22 hours sitting in our shop and your front tire was brought in 2 lbs over spec"." so you do not have a leak problem. " "But you do need a screaming eagle race tuner kit because you put on big sucker air kit from NEss. How much is that, I asked? they couldn't answer that question either. I'll go into Twin Cities HD Blaine in mpls for a gasket if I absolutley have to, but I'll push my bike in a ditch and burn it before I let those dinks advise me on anything. btw, I am 52 years old, this is my 5th big twin with about 20 other bikes that have came in over my 40 years of trail, street, touring riding. I don't know everything, but I do know when I'm being insulted. I should have never bought my bike there. what was I thinking....

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 AM
psalwasser
Intermediate

Oh, yeah, been messing with what I thought was a starter problem, but sounds like the compensator. I''ll buy a bdl compensator, just to keep hd parts off my bike and the stealerships hands off it. fyff's

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Bob
Has anyone with an 09 or 10 touring bike had their compensator replaced by the dealership?

Did you have to fight with them to get it done or did they do it with no hassle?

Did you go with the SE comp or the OE comp?

Did that stop the sound of someone hitting the motor with a hammer when starting? Thanks a lot, BB
My compensator blew up (literally!) just after returning from Sturgis last year. I had about 5,500 miles on the bike. They replaced it with an SE unit, but I had to pay difference from stock to SE. They also replaced the casing which was damaged when it went.

I was not a happy camper, but so far, the SE compensator, coupled with RedLine fluid makes it smooth as silk.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2007 Super Glide kept banging louder as the miles piled up. Had it checked three times and each time was told it was fine. It was worse when hot. When I got the 2011 RGU it was just strange to hear it start with no bang. I am missing the noise but not the worry about it grenading.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM
psalwasser
Intermediate

I just put the SE compensator in mine. Does what it should now. on-off throttle crisp, crisp shifts and Most of all, no hammering noise upon warm starts. Easy install if you follow the hdforum install threads. I would have liked to put the bdl assembly in, but they were unlcear when they were available to ship. I am not happy about spending close to 300 bucks to fix this. It took me a while to trouble shoot this. I tried all the elec connections first with dialectic grease - starter, starter ground, main ground, batt (+,-) to see if that what was the problem. Then too off the primary cover to inspect and operate starter. reassembled and road tested. still did it. so, bit the bullet. I'll puch my bike off a cliff before I bring it to Twin cities HD north in blaine. So, I thank hd forums for the diognoses, the fix and the forum.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 AM
ronster2
Advanced

Yeah, my 09 RG sounded noisy and almost like a dragging starter when cranking from day one. Finally, took it in while under warranty just this past winter. The H-D dealer warranty guy had it replaced with a SE compensator @ no charge. He said H-D knew there was problems with the stock compensator, but wouldn't do anything about, but he knew a way around their crap. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with most dealers. There need to be a recall or a class action on this part failure!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wish I could find a stealer like 05 TRAIN

Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Freebee
Tourer

Mine was replaced at 13K miles by the dealer at no cost to me! Back in December I complained about the "Hammering Noise" in the primary when starting warm. They inspected it and alleged that the comp.nut was loose.

I left the shop, rode 25miles and stopped for fuel and it hammered kicked back when I restarted it. I turned around and returned immediately told them it was not fixed. I asked them to give me a loaner and I would leave the bike as it is my only wheels. They asked If I had a few more hours and promised to make it right, I agreed.

The Tech came into the waiting room 30mins later to explain the whole compensator phenomenon. He indicated that it was out of spec. and needed to be replaced. I told him I would pay the difference in part cost if he installed the SE.part.

Two hours later the service writer told me it was complete, "Merry Christmas" the warranty took care of the whole bill. This was the selling dealer Republic Harley - Stafford TX.
They have been GREAT with me on this bike and I will not hesitate to buy my next one there.

FWIW. I do all of my own service work. I buy my filters, gaskets and tires from them. I mention this to illustrate that this shop has not made any real profit from me, nor do they recognize me as a preferred customer. I sometimes think it's more about you're attitude towards the people you're dealing with ?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
tjjung
Intermediate
Default Bang at Start Up

My 08 anniversary ultra with 23K miles has been making that loud crashing sound at start up for some time now. Recently it has gotten worse. In reading this forum it sounds like the compensator. Today i removed the primary cover and checked it out. The starter gear looks normal and operated normally with the spark plugs removed. All my symptoms sound just like those mentioned here. My question is how do you know for sure that the compensator is the problem? What is the function of the compensator and how do you check to see if it is within specs? I can't see anything unusual on the sprocket and have not found any metal in the primary. There is some play in the sprocket but don't know if that is normal. I do all my own service and have the tools and factory manual to do this repair myself but would like to have some way of verifying the problem before buying the part and trying it out.
Any help will be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Compensator replaced under warranty??????