Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator replaced under warranty??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Why does this only seem to be a problem on touring models? And why do only touring models have the screamin eagle compensator for 2011?
Gary D.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default SE comp

Originally Posted by the4thgearkid
Hey guys, how did you know your compensator was going bad? What tipped you off? What did you tell the dealer to talk them into taking a look at it?
My 08 got to where I didn't know if it was going to turn over fast enough to start at times.
Crashing/grinding noise that was no way supposed to be happening when trying to start.

You won't have to wonder if something is wrong.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 463 Likes on 133 Posts

I've read a lot about this issue and my 2010 FLHX that I purchased new which now has 8000 miles seems to have all characteristic symptoms. I talked to my dealer recently about it and got the "deer in the head lights look" and was told that "they" haven't heard of any issues. WTF? I told them if they rode my bike they would "hear" the issue and if my drive train locks up they will "hear" of my issue in a big way. I was hoping to at least get help with the parts but realize HD can't do that. It's just as well as I do all my own work on my ride and will tear it down this winter and solve the problem. I'll post my tear down and results for those in the same noisy and potentially dangerous boat.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Road-end
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeRAD56
I've read a lot about this issue and my 2010 FLHX that I purchased new which now has 8000 miles seems to have all characteristic symptoms. I talked to my dealer recently about it and got the "deer in the head lights look" and was told that "they" haven't heard of any issues. WTF? I told them if they rode my bike they would "hear" the issue and if my drive train locks up they will "hear" of my issue in a big way. I was hoping to at least get help with the parts but realize HD can't do that. It's just as well as I do all my own work on my ride and will tear it down this winter and solve the problem. I'll post my tear down and results for those in the same noisy and potentially dangerous boat.
I'm with you, I was talking to the service mgr. letting him know i picked one up, and was going to change it out, he said nothing about offering to fix it under warranty, Or did the dealer that i pick it up at, but i would rather do it myself, becuase every time i let the Dealer work on my bike i have to redo it.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM
g money
Account Retired

Originally Posted by g money
Why does this only seem to be a problem on touring models? And why do only touring models have the screamin eagle compensator for 2011?
Gary D.
Anyone??

Old 12-11-2010, 02:44 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by g money
Anyone??
GUESS...A vs. B engine? The 2010 and 2011 models have a running change to the compensator..the 08s and 09s seem to have the problem.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM
g money
Account Retired

..the 08s and 09s seem to have the problem.[/QUOTE]

Just touring? Not dyna's?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:55 PM
garyl
Cruiser
Cool

Just read about this compensator issue this morning. Called one dealer and was told that I had bad info. Called another dealer and was told to bring it in. While there, I was told that the compensator was covered and that I could upgrade to the Screaming Eagle for the price diff. About $109. Also was able to get a new front tire under warranty. Then the bike was cleaned and returned to me.
While there, I also had a battery tender installed. I spent $131.00 and had the bike back in about 3 hours. How's that for customer service?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you change a compensator , clean , change a tire AND talk about the price difference and if Harley will cover it in 3 HOURS ?? LOL!! I LOVE that dealer where is he ?
But you see what I mean one dealer says NO I will not do it, and the other says sure no problem? I give up with these Bozo's. Now I will go to the guy who took care of me and it will pay-off for him for sure just ask my wife she will tell you! LOL!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
BigD629
Cruiser

Just took my 2010 Ultra Limited in for it's 5000 mile service. The service manager called and said there was a leak and needed to tear it down to replace a gasket. I asked him to check the compensator while their at it. He said it was slightly out of spec, but enough the could replace under warranty, said it would be $100 differance for the SE. I'm wondering if I should have to pay full price for the 5000 mile service now, seeing they have to replace the fluids anyway. Guess I'll hit them up about it when I pick it up.

Quick Reply: Compensator replaced under warranty??????