Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing tank emblems... any tricks??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing tank emblems... any tricks??

i'm thinking of changing my tank emblems.. Anyone got any secrets on how is the best way to do this??
is it difficult? should i have a paint shop do it??

thanks boys... be well... ride safe....

Old 11-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get by with either fishing line or perhaps dental floss. Pull out a length and 'saw' back and forth with it. Then use 'Goo Gone' or similar to remove residue.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 AM
deepthought
3rd Gear

Lighter fluid, such as what you would use to fill a Zippo or wick style lighter will remove the adhesive without damaging the paint. It will leave an oily film and likely remove wax or polish as well so I would suggest washing and waxing the painted surface shortly afterwards.

I've heard that WD-40 works as well but have no experience using it for this application.

Last edited by deepthought; 11-21-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Be careful with the Goo Gone, I've had it remove paint before (not sure about the quality of the paint). You should be ok, Harleys have pretty thick clear coat, just make sure you wipe it off pretty quickly. You should also do a test on the underside of the tank, or maybe a spot under the seat to make sure you're good.

Is it just the angle of the light in the pic, or did you have your rims chromed on the stainless portions? I was thinking about doing the same, but was told that it would easily chip if just done on the edges. If they are chromed, what did it run you to get it done, and has it been pretty durable?

Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Emblems and badging on cars is taken off with heat. They turn a hot air gun on it until the glue softens and then just peal it right off. BUT ... may not be a good thing on a gas tank! If your tank is empty and cleaned out, you might consider it, but only if the tank is drained out and clean!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
bobx67
Cruiser

hairdryer will get it hot enough to get the emblems off. go slow. take your time. fishing line if you have it once its warmed up. its not hard to do, just a little time consuming.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a heat gun on a bike gas tank and had no issues, although I was extremely careful and never got it too close. After the glue was warmed up, I was able to peel them right off. Although if you do use a heat gun you will ruin the emblems by melting them somewhat. So if you want to save them, try the fishing line or dental floss method.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by jpalm
Be careful with the Goo Gone, I've had it remove paint before (not sure about the quality of the paint). You should be ok, Harleys have pretty thick clear coat, just make sure you wipe it off pretty quickly. You should also do a test on the underside of the tank, or maybe a spot under the seat to make sure you're good.

Is it just the angle of the light in the pic, or did you have your rims chromed on the stainless portions? I was thinking about doing the same, but was told that it would easily chip if just done on the edges. If they are chromed, what did it run you to get it done, and has it been pretty durable?

thanks

no chromeon the wheels...just a good pic i guess

i think Santa is gonna bring chrome wheels this year

Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I used dental floss and a hair dryer (didn't trust my skill with a heat gun) and had no problems. Used the 3M automotive adhesive remover product purchased at an auto parts store.

Carl

Old 11-21-2010, 01:47 PM
tonnetje
Cruiser

1-the hairdryer
2-wd-40 use a lot!
3-and dental or fishline (use gloves)
4-take your time for it
and the emblem is gone

Quick Reply: Changing tank emblems... any tricks??