Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost lost my shifter today

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Almost lost my shifter today

I put about 100 miles today running a couple of places and errands. Everything was fine till I was getting off the hwy to go home. Went to shift down on the exit ramp and to my surprise, I had no shifter. I pulled off to the side at the bottom of the ramp and looked down. The shift lever was sitting down along the floorboard. Fortunately I was less than a mile from home so I grabbed the shift linkage by hand and put it down in first gear then limped the rest of the way home. Once I got home an took a look I found the shifter shaft had disconnected from the inner lever next to the cylinders. I thought the bolt must have come loose and fell out but when I looked it was still there and still torqued down tight. I took the bolt out and took a good look at it and the shaft. Apparently, the threads in the bolt lined up with the groves in the shaft. Over time the shaft wore a flat spot on the bolt and finally worked it's way out of the lever. I was going to just get a replacement bolt but the grooved in the shaft are worn also so I think I'll just replace the shaft. At least the shift lever didn't fall off completely.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that. I was not as lucky as you though because I lost the shifter assembly and I just happened to be about 200 miles from home, on a Sunday so nothing was open. I ended up using the shifter rod like a suicide shifter to get home. Glad you did not lose yours!

Mike

Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Yup,

swap your front and rear shifters so that the worn parts are no longer mating.

I just torqued mine on there, but I should probably buy a grade 8 fastener with a shoulder

MK

Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was traveling up I-5 on my 07 SG and went to shift up and no heel shift. I pulled out the allen wrench and moved the toe shifter up. I went to the dealer and told them the problem and they replaced it. I installed the new heel shifter and off that one went to. So I replaced them with after market shifters and decided to keep the toe shifter elevated just in case. Well it has been 2 years and I have not lost the after market shifters.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Take my advice and get this shaft as a replacement. Well worth the money and it will solve any future issues with the front shifter shaft seizing up in the bore. Might as well get it if you're going to replace the shaft anyway.

I've had this part on my past 2 bikes and it is a very nicely made part. Be sure to use grade 8 bolts on the levers and blue locktite them in with the proper torque and you will have zero issues in the future.

Greasable shaft

Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Yup,

swap your front and rear shifters so that the worn parts are no longer mating.

I just torqued mine on there, but I should probably buy a grade 8 fastener with a shoulder

MK
I figured I might not be clear in my description. The shaft wore on the inside connection where the lever connects to the shift linkage not the outside where the front and rear shift levers attach.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sifularson
Take my advice and get this shaft as a replacement. Well worth the money and it will solve any future issues with the front shifter shaft seizing up in the bore. Might as well get it if you're going to replace the shaft anyway.

I've had this part on my past 2 bikes and it is a very nicely made part. Be sure to use grade 8 bolts on the levers and blue locktite them in with the proper torque and you will have zero issues in the future.

Greasable shaft
Thanks Steve, I have seen this before but had forgotten about it. I will have to look into it.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:03 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
Thanks Steve, I have seen this before but had forgotten about it. I will have to look into it.
Another option is to buy the stock shaft and drill the primary cover for a zerk fitting. I thought the greasable shaft was a better option.

If you get one, let us all know what you think of it.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my heel shifter fall off. Its not a good feeling when you take off from a stop light and go to kick down and nothing is there. Went and bought a chrome cap and only have the front shifter now.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sifularson
Another option is to buy the stock shaft and drill the primary cover for a zerk fitting. I thought the greasable shaft was a better option.

If you get one, let us all know what you think of it.
I thought about the drilling/zerk fitting option. I have no problem drilling but I don't happen to own a tap and die set to thread the hole for the zerk fitting. I priced the HD shaft online last night and it's only about $20. For that big of a cost difference, I'm thinking a good coat of anti-sieze, some annual maintenance, and I'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: Almost lost my shifter today