Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 mile oil change with Amsoil??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
What problems are you having with it?
The only problem I have is it made the infamous ticking noise much more noticeable. It's not a huge problem or I would change it now. I used it cause it was the only syn oil they had on the shelf, and I figured I would give it a try.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I do not doubt that the oil will not break down for 10K, but one of the things that oil does is that it's holds the engine contaminates that are drained out during an oil change. I would not the contaminates suspended in my oil for 10K.

True, I remember a sales rep telling me that when Amsoil first came out you were suppose to never change the oil and just only change the oil filter every 3k miles in cars, and i thought this was insane. But he had a 2004 F150 he did this to and that thing is still running good with over 80k miles on it with no engine repairs, so he said. I just cannot find that claim anywhere and have never heard of this until he told me that.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amsoil is advertising that thier recommended oil change interval is up to twice the manufacturer interval, So if HD says change at 5K then this would give you 10K on Amsoil cutting the cost in half to about 6bucks a quart, and if this is proven, I would say Amsoil is a superior synthetic. Has anyone tried this or anything close to that mileage, a blackstone oil analysis would be helpful here.
They have a disclaimer on their wesite that the extended intervals are not recommended for any motor that's been modified.
That alone tells me they don't trust the durability of their own oil.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bobistheoilguy.com is a good site for oil research. they have a forum dedicated just to motorcycle oil...

Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
The only problem I have is it made the infamous ticking noise much more noticeable. It's not a huge problem or I would change it now. I used it cause it was the only syn oil they had on the shelf, and I figured I would give it a try.

I noticed the same thing, but have left this oil in the motor for about 3,500miles now and seems the more I ride the quiter it gets, more so when its fully warm, I use to change it at 2K just based on how I ride and I am thinking I never let the lifters get a little dirt in em to seal them up, IDK just a thought just wondering why at 15K miles on my motor it seems to be quiter now than last year when I only had 8K on it.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mav
bobistheoilguy.com is a good site for oil research. they have a forum dedicated just to motorcycle oil...

Thanks for the link good info.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

True, I remember a sales rep telling me that when Amsoil first came out you were suppose to never change the oil and just only change the oil filter every 3k miles in cars, and i thought this was insane. But he had a 2004 F150 he did this to and that thing is still running good with over 80k miles on it with no engine repairs, so he said. I just cannot find that claim anywhere and have never heard of this until he told me that.
Well I'm old School, and too old too break My habits, change oil in My bike 2 to 2500K mi, 3K in the car and truck.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Well I'm old School, and too old too break My habits, change oil in My bike 2 to 2500K mi, 3K in the car and truck.

I am with you on that one, I learned my mechanical skills from a bunch of old school guys, I just wonder sometimes how much technology can change some as simple as oil change intervals. Seeing all these electric vehicles come out tells me soon we wont even be talkin about changing oil on this forum anymore.