Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 120R delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for those pics, stroker....

What would it take to get one of these new engines into a 2006 softail frame?? I've got a 2006 FX Softail Springer....I had a 2007 FX Screamin Eagle Springer with the 110 motor (blah!!)....I'd love to build the 2006 FX Springer with the new 120R engine if possible.

I know the transmission changed in the 2007 softail models to the 6 speed units, so possibly the primary case changed as well...but those parts are bolt-on and can be changed as well. Was there anything in the motor's frame mounts that changed from 2006 to 2007?

Last edited by Greaseball; 12-26-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:04 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Greaseball

What would it take to get one of these new engines into a 2006 softail frame?? I've got a 2006 FX Softail Springer....I had a 2007 FX Screamin Eagle Springer with the 110 motor (blah!!)....I'd love to build the 2006 FX Springer with the new 120R engine if possible.

I know the transmission changed in the 2007 softail models to the 6 speed units, so possibly the primary case changed as well...but those parts are bolt-on and can be changed as well. Was there anything in the motor's frame mounts that changed from 2006 to 2007?
I've looked into using one of these motors on earlier bikes and don't think it can be done easily. If your bike has visible oil pipes the way ahead is not clear! The 120R is a late engine with internal oilways to the pump and from what I have read cannot be retrofitted to your transmission or primary.

A possible solution is that there is a 120R kit that may be worth looking into, but I fear that may not be any easier. It is early days for both the motor and kit, so we have yet to see all the possibilities. Hopefully some of these 'problems' will be sorted by someone adventurous before too long.

Last edited by grbrown; 12-26-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:26 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't 2007 the year the softail swingarm changed to accomodate the 200mm tire? Suspect it would be cheaper to trade in your 2006 for a 2007 or newer and then install the 120R.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
Isn't 2007 the year the softail swingarm changed to accomodate the 200mm tire? Suspect it would be cheaper to trade in your 2006 for a 2007 or newer and then install the 120R.
The 2006 FX Softail Springer (and other FXSoftail models) had the 200mm tire. Other Softail models (from the FLSpringer line?) followed in 2007 (or 2008?)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've looked into using one of these motors on earlier bikes and don't think it can be done easily. If your bike has visible oil pipes the way ahead is not clear! The 120R is a late engine with internal oilways to the pump and from what I have read cannot be retrofitted to your transmission or primary.
I know that both the primary and transmission would also have to be changed out...that's a good excuse to upgrade from the 5-speed box to a stout Baker 6speed box. Also a good excuse to get a chrome inner primary from 2007 up. The starter might have to be changed as well (would a stock starter hold up to a 120r anyway??).

What I do not know is if the frame mounts changed for the motor and transmission from 2006 to 2007. If the frame mounts changed, then that takes this change into an area that I would not care to go.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

....(would a stock starter hold up to a 120r anyway??).............
It seems like the stock starter had a harder time with the 96" than it does with the ACR equipped SE120R. Mine seems to turn over very easily and can't imagine it wearing out any sooner than it would have otherwise.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default 120R with stock starter

Originally Posted by itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
It seems like the stock starter had a harder time with the 96" than it does with the ACR equipped SE120R. Mine seems to turn over very easily and can't imagine it wearing out any sooner than it would have otherwise.
I thought that i might have messed up the wiring for the acr's when i installed the engine. That was realy one of the hardest things for me moving the terminals around in the fuse box and putting the pin in the ecu plug after removing the blank pin. Well anyhow i pulled the fuse for them and the starter stopped dead from the compression when i went to crank it. Does not look like i would be going anywhere if the acr's failed. I heard that they clicked when you turn the ignition on and could not hear that so i experimented by pulling the fuse.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve
I hope you dont mind me posting pic and popping in to your thread. I just kinda got started here and it seems everyone is following your progress so I will kinda update my progress a little hear and there.
I got the heads back from WFO Larry today. I posted in another thread about the MVA heads so some may have seen the pic's already. I just though this thread could use them also.
they look awesome.

BEFORE Intake

After Intake

Before Exhaust

After Exhaust

Before chambers

after chambers

Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Headwork

They look great Jim, post what you like it's interesting for all following the thread and looking for mods for the 120R.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
I thought that i might have messed up the wiring for the acr's when i installed the engine. That was realy one of the hardest things for me moving the terminals around in the fuse box and putting the pin in the ecu plug after removing the blank pin. Well anyhow i pulled the fuse for them and the starter stopped dead from the compression when i went to crank it. Does not look like i would be going anywhere if the acr's failed. I heard that they clicked when you turn the ignition on and could not hear that so i experimented by pulling the fuse.

I never hear my ACR either. It's great when technology just works without being seen or heard.

Quick Reply: SE 120R delivery