Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 120R delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM
RGriff69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the point of bronze guides?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

Well it sounds like the dealership got the paperwork for my engine so it shouldn't be too far behind. Maybe it will show up this week. Been one week now since ordered.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Greaseball
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strokerjlk
helps explain why we decided to tear a perfectly good crate motor apart.
Now that you have torn one (or two) apart, can you tell me if these are coming with the Timken crank bearings?

Thanks...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greaseball
Now that you have torn one (or two) apart, can you tell me if these are coming with the Timken crank bearings?

Thanks...
nope no timken bearing. it has the lefty bearings.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RGriff69
What is the point of bronze guides?
the cast guides are set up loose from the factory. this is there attempt at correcting the problems they had with valves sticking in the guides on these heads and the 110 heads. IMO it was more a tuning issue,they were so lean that the heat caused the valve to stick. we know they cant pass emissions unless they are lean. so they had to do something. I dont think the cast guides will be that big of an issue if they are tuned early on.
the other reason behind the bronze guides was in the process of getting the heads flowing better and to correct the geometry there is going to be a new valve job,so why not correct it from the start,was the thought.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Greaseball
Cruiser

nope no timken bearing. it has the lefty bearings.
What do the standard 96" and 103" engines have for the crank bearings in this area? Is there any difference in this area between the 120r engine and a stock 96" or 103" engine??

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Crankshaft bearings

Originally Posted by Greaseball
What do the standard 96" and 103" engines have for the crank bearings in this area? Is there any difference in this area between the 120r engine and a stock 96" or 103" engine??
Stock motors don't have the lefty's and the 120R has a SE crankshaft with a different stroke. The new engines have two button head screws that lock the cam chest side crank bearing in the crankcase. That bearing is set to a different depth in the cases than previous twin cams too. The 120R has the new style locked bearing in the case.Why they lock this bearing now i don't know,must have been something they saw happening. This was not a cost cutting step in machining or assembly.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM
RGriff69
Cruiser

the cast guides are set up loose from the factory. this is there attempt at correcting the problems they had with valves sticking in the guides on these heads and the 110 heads. IMO it was more a tuning issue,they were so lean that the heat caused the valve to stick. we know they cant pass emissions unless they are lean. so they had to do something. I dont think the cast guides will be that big of an issue if they are tuned early on.
the other reason behind the bronze guides was in the process of getting the heads flowing better and to correct the geometry there is going to be a new valve job,so why not correct it from the start,was the thought.
Thank you for explaining it for me. I understand better now.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RGriff69
Thank you for explaining it for me. I understand better now.
sure no problem.
those that were wondering about the rod bushings. there are bushings in the rods. and the ends are not tappered. SE rods. got some pic's but they didnt turn out to good.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
strokerjlk
Cruiser

here are a few pics. the skirts dont look to bad. I have actually seen 107 pistons with about the same skirts.

Quick Reply: SE 120R delivery