Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen the 06B Primary Chain Adjuster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is really good stuff guys. Just one more reason why this forum is so valuable. The only reason I changed my tensioner was due to some minimal wear on the shoe. I was into the primary to change a failed mainshaft bearing. I also discovered that there was a late 07, early 08 revision to that bearing and the shaft. My 07 was a late model that had an updated version of the shaft and bearing. That's another story for another thread.

Dawg, are there any HD service bulletins on all this that you can find. Seems like there must be some information going out to all the HD techs. Otherwise, the factory must just make the changes and let the techs find out when they get the new parts.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The OP posted about the SOHO tensioner a while back. Many of us here have bought, tried and returned it. It's not what it's cracked up to be.
Originally Posted by lionsm13
How bout' this one? Southern Oregon Hot Bikes

HB Wedge Hydraulic Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner* -
Wedge2 for 2007 and later Big Twins

http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

Old 11-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
The OP posted about the SOHO tensioner a while back. Many of us here have bought, tried and returned it. It's not what it's cracked up to be.
If you mod it a bit (shouldn't have to, I know) it's a real good alternative to the OEM tensioner. I've had mine for a season of hard riding and am very pleased with it. However, I had to add a little spring behind the wedge to keep it from reversing to a point where it would tend to lock-up.

No issues after that and it's been tested real well.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I’ve got all the parts to change my power compensator and clutch pack over to the Screamin Eagle type. I bought a new tensioner so to replace it at the same time. The dealer sold me the 39929-06A. Are you all saying I would be better off to take it back and get the 06B?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by jad
So, I’ve got all the parts to change my power compensator and clutch pack over to the Screamin Eagle type. I bought a new tensioner so to replace it at the same time. The dealer sold me the 39929-06A. Are you all saying I would be better off to take it back and get the 06B?
I would. I always like to have the most updated part. The problem is when one goes into a dealership, they try to sell their old stock first because they cannot return obsolete parts to the MOCO on annual returns.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
Dawg, are there any HD service bulletins on all this that you can find. Seems like there must be some information going out to all the HD techs. Otherwise, the factory must just make the changes and let the techs find out when they get the new parts.
The only bulletin that ever came out was a tech tip, TT420 about noise and checking the ratcheting. MOCO was aware of the improper ratcheting and hence the revisions over the years.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Indeed - put one of those in a 2009 a couple of weeks ago because the owner wanted it. Took it back out again a week later.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
boston138
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the 06B Primary Chain adjuster

Thanks guys. Great information.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I received my SOHO Tensioner in the mail today..after cutting the plastic tie strip I could not open it up by hand.Needed to take a screw driver and pry it open..so it is binding right out of the box..What to do? should I just send it back at this point? Thought this would be better than sliced bread?

Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Indeed - put one of those in a 2009 a couple of weeks ago because the owner wanted it. Took it back out again a week later.
I'll have to back Dave up on this, see'n that it was my 09 that we installed (then removed) the SOHB tensioner from. Neither of us are sure of exactly what the problem was other than there was a distinct "howling" sound that was definitely wrong. My opinion is that the SOHB was keeping the tension too tight.

Ya know, the funny thing about this is that Dave's intuition was right-on at the beginning. I beleive his words were "why change the tensioner, is there a probelm with the HD one? ". But me, being me, I said WTF and went with it anyway.

I need to tell this story and will try to keep it short.

We changed out my OEM Compensator over at Daves house. Added the SOHB tensioner and closed everything up. As I was getting ready to fire it up and head home on the big test run, I noticed that the box the tensioner came in had 4 flat washers that were NOT mentioned in the instructions or the pic of "What to Install". So I called the SOHB number and a lady said "hello" and told me she'd have to go get the guy who knows about the tensioners. He got on the phone and I asked him about the washers and the instructions included with the tensioner. He says to me....and I quote... "Oh, those directions are wrong, I need to change those, sorry".

So..... I kept my cool and clarified that we DID need to install the washers. He said. "Yes...Sorry".

The bottom line is that the rail frame of the SOHB tensioner does not include the offset that pushes the unit outboard enough to the point that the tensioner lines up flush with the chain. So they just included a couple of washers to make up for this.

So we ordered a pizza, drained the primary, pulled the cover, pulled the tensioner, added the f&*%n washers and put it all back together. Fired it up and it made the "howling sound", but then quieted down after a couple of minutes.

I said f*^$it and rode it home. But woke up the next day, fired it up and the same "howling" sound was back.

Shut it down. Called Dave. He insisted on coming over (because that's the kind of friend he is) to check it out. We took it all apart, pulled the clutch, the comp and checked everything. At this point I said "PHUKET" we are putting the OEM tensoiner back on. Buttonned everything up and now ALL IS WELL WITH THE WORLD.

BTW.. Heres a pic of the SOHB (on top) next to my 2009 OEM (on bottom).

PS...The new SE Comp is kick *** and a noticeable difference. If I had listened to Dave and stuck with the OEM tensioner, it would have been a piece of cake project.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen the 06B Primary Chain Adjuster?