Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Electra Glide Classic-No 103" option :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If getting the 103 upgrade in a EGC is going to give you everything you want at a significantly lower cost than buying a loaded Ultra with things you don't think you need it seems to make economic sense to buy the EGC and do the 103 upgrade.
If the difference in cost is minimal then you might as well buy full package.
It all boils down to getting the best bang for your buck.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 AM
sageone
Advanced

Buy the limited. Even if you don't need the extras, it will be worth more if you decide to sell or trade it in the future. I'd rather get the 103 from the factory vs a kit as well.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The Road Glide Ultra with different bars?

Forget what you "think" about the RGU. Go Ride it, plan to change the bars and windshield, and think about how easy it will be finding it in a sea of batwings and how great it rides and handles next to your batwing buddies. Point is, once the RG digs into you, you'll see the "light". It really is a superior bike. Yes, it's a long reach to the radio. That's what the hand controls are for. After 3 batwings and now on a RG, I'm never going back. Just me. Also, the paint on a RGU beats the heck out of an EGC or Ultra paint scheme. Just wish they had more colors.

Just a suggestion... but I'm partial.

And no offense to my Batwing brothers. I'm just giving the typical sales pitch us Darksiders give.
I still have a Batwing in the stable. My wife rides it, and for some reason she resists the power of the dark side.

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-20-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Actually, a 103 performance package from an aftermarket vendor will give you much more power and rideability than anything HD can match. HD has to play by the EPA rules, but you don't.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
fireguy5
Cruiser

I just did a thread about my 2010 EGC with a 103 and se255 cam upgrade. I mainly wanted more low end torque as I felt the 96 had "ok" power, but did the whole shabang since they gave me a great deal. It made a huge difference. I went the EGC since I also didn't need the CB and intercom.
I didn't use this dealer because it wasn't offered at the time but Columbia HD in TN is doing 103 upgrades with an se255 cam and a map download for $715....WITH labor. Now that is a heck of a deal. Of coarse you may live in Alaska and that might not help.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:22 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Even though you might not use the upgraded stereo, cb, intercom and the rest of the bells and whistles that go with the ultra or limited, consider this, what if in a few years you change your mind and start to want those things? For me the choice was clear, I went ahead and ponied up the extra 1500 bucks price differance between an ultra and limited. I dont use my intercom or cb either but its there IF I decide I want to, plus I got the 103 upgrade. To each their own and as long as you are happy with the choice you make, thats all that matters. Stay safe and good luck with your decision.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:26 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

By the way, I like your ride sageone, reminds me of mine, lol.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
Even though you might not use the upgraded stereo, cb, intercom and the rest of the bells and whistles that go with the ultra or limited, consider this, what if in a few years you change your mind and start to want those things? For me the choice was clear, I went ahead and ponied up the extra 1500 bucks price differance between an ultra and limited. I dont use my intercom or cb either but its there IF I decide I want to, plus I got the 103 upgrade. To each their own and as long as you are happy with the choice you make, thats all that matters. Stay safe and good luck with your decision.
+1 Very good advice. Your passenger will enjoy the extra speakers too.

I know I added CB to my bike(s) to head out to Sturgis and with the 20% discount I was into each bike about 850 bucks. Not to mention all my labor. Wasn't fun but worth every penny... Nice being able to talk to folks while riding.

lp

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
skater69
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fireguy5
I just did a thread about my 2010 EGC with a 103 and se255 cam upgrade. I mainly wanted more low end torque as I felt the 96 had "ok" power, but did the whole shabang since they gave me a great deal. It made a huge difference. I went the EGC since I also didn't need the CB and intercom.
I didn't use this dealer because it wasn't offered at the time but Columbia HD in TN is doing 103 upgrades with an se255 cam and a map download for $715....WITH labor. Now that is a heck of a deal. Of coarse you may live in Alaska and that might not help.
That's a sick deal. I'd have to call around to dealers to see how much same would around here in SoCal.....no doubt it would be considerably more.

But if it's a fairly reliably way to get more power, I'd be more than willing to find a used '09+ EG-classic with the updated frame and get the 103 job done separately.
There's an '09 EG-classic at a dealer's w/4500 mi....they're asking 17.5K.
So theoretically I may be able to get the bike and 103/se255 upgrade for under $20K.

Just spending the extra 5K on an '11 Ultra Limited for all the goodies I never use.....well 20K for a bike is A LOT of money already. 25K+ is almost crazy money for a motorcycle IMO. So I'm going try and save where I can.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the limited!!

Quick Reply: 2011 Electra Glide Classic-No 103" option :(