Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stretch Tank / Seat Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010 | 01:52 PM
Jeff595
|
Advanced
Default Stretch Tank / Seat Help Needed!

We have installed the fiberglass stretch tank covers on my 07 SG, and were planning to just notch it out to clear the factory seat. If we do this, there will be hardly any of the actual "stretched" section left. Does anyone who has these tank covers have any suggestions as far as seats go? Or anyone know of a nice 2 up style seat with a narrow front? I would like something that remains "sporty" looking, but still has a comfortable back seat for the wife. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010 | 04:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member

You have a similar problem to me. I have just installed a late spec 6 gallon tank on my Evo and need the nose of the seat remodelled to fit around it. You need an upholsterer to reshape your current seat. Have you got a custom bike or car firm nearby? Perhaps a furniture restorer? They should be able to help, or point you in the right direction.

Old 11-19-2010 | 05:54 PM
bagger76
Tourer

I was wondering about this problem myself.I just ordered the stretch tank covers and sent my seat to mean city cycles to be lowered and narrowed in the seat area.but i wasnt sure if the front needed narrowed to fit the tank.I guess it does.I will be calling them to see if they know how much to take out,or maybe you have a idea.

Old 11-19-2010 | 06:08 PM
93+octane
Banned

I can't quite envision your issue but I can relate my own experience. I have an 01 FLHR and mistakenly bought a used Mustang for an FLR/FLT. I made it work by bending the tang a bit, then putting the nose of the seat in a large vise to tweak it so that it now fits perfectly. Had an issue with too much of the frame being exposed where the stock seat covered it but cured that with a crotch cooler from Captain Itch.

Old 11-19-2010 | 08:41 PM
Jeff595
|
Advanced

I guess I could have described the area I was having problems with a little better. It's the "ears" or flaps that come down from each side of the seat directly behind the tank and wrap down over the frame rails. I need around 2" taken out of that area or I have to cut almost 1/2 of the extended part of the covers off. Bagger, if your using the same seat as in your picture, you will have the same problem!

Old 11-19-2010 | 08:43 PM
Jeff595
|
Advanced

I will try to attach a picture tomorrow so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Old 11-20-2010 | 07:29 AM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain

Check out my response in this thread with pictures of the fab process
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-2010-sg.html
you can fit one seat to the tank. Cut to fit the seat you ride the most. I had a mean city cycle seat that I ride the most, used that one to match up to the Baddad seat. My SG seat that I use for solo/bike shows was modded to match the ultra/mean city seat cutout in the tank. Not sure why your cutting the "ears" off the extension?? only the leading edge of top needs to be trimmed to fit the seat. Seat slips in and the tank goes around the seat

Last edited by Eric in chicago; 11-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2024 | 09:02 AM
2005ElectraGlideSTD
Stage II
Default BadDad stretched tank covers seat option

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share what I tried on my 2005 Electra Glide with the BadDad stretched tank covers. The seat that was on my bike when I bought it with the BadDad kit already installed was horrendous on my back so I started looking for options and really never found anything online saying it would work, so I figured I would play the guinea pig and order what I thought may work. I found a used Danny Gray Weekday 2 up seat for Paul Yaffee tanks PYO-STK07-1 and tried it. It wasn’t a perfect fit but it’s a thousand times better than the original BadDad seat that was on it. I am going to try and include pictures to show what it looks like but since I am new I am not 100% sure they will show. I hope this helps anyone that may be looking for another option for these tank covers

It does fit tight in the sides but I was able to maneuver it where it went in without any modifications

Old 07-29-2024 | 10:17 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

that gap at the nose of the seat would bother me too much.

Old 07-29-2024 | 10:22 AM
2005ElectraGlideSTD
Stage II

Originally Posted by memphisharley
that gap at the nose of the seat would bother me too much.
I agree it’s not perfect and I do plan to do some body work on the tank and dash when I get it repainted but to be honest the original seat wasn’t perfect either, it just was a little longer in the nose