Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess

Changed my oil today with the HD premium cooler, what a clusterfzck. I can barely get my hand in to remove the filter, no way to keep it from leaking everywhere. Then after it spills I can't get to the motor mount area to clean it very well. Has anyone found a way to make this less messy and good way to clean up the mess it does leave? Suggestions appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess-rg-solo-parkway.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhud
Changed my oil today with the HD premium cooler, what a clusterfzck. I can barely get my hand in to remove the filter, no way to keep it from leaking everywhere. Then after it spills I can't get to the motor mount area to clean it very well. Has anyone found a way to make this less messy and good way to clean up the mess it does leave? Suggestions appreciated.
This is what I do . . . I pull the cooler loose so it doesn't get oil into it which is nearly impossible to clean out. That oil will collect dirt and plug the cooler if you don't pull it up out of the way.

Also, one of the things that makes the oil change a PITA is that the oil is HOT! I always change the oil with it at operating temp.

1. Remove the 3 nuts holding the oil cooler to the bracket. They are underneath the cooler.
2. Pull the cooler up out of the way do it doesn't fill with oil.
3. Pull the filter and let it drain into a pan. Don't worry about the oil on the motor mount.
4. After I'm all done with the oil change, I spray the entire area with diluted simple green and then hose it off and wash the entire bike.
5. I make sure I get underneath real well and get all the oil off the motor mount so it doesn't soften the rubber.
6. Put the cooler back in place.

I've tried all the different ways to catch the oil and finally gave up. It's nearly impossible with the cooler lines in the way.

I also use K&N filters with a nut on the end of the filter which makes getting the filter loose and tight much easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 11-18-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

**** poor design IMO. I bought one, had it almost completely installed and had to take it off and go get my money back. On the 09's they wont work with a thunderheader because the O2 sensor is right in the way.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drip catcher Harley sells catches some but not worth the 18 bucks.I usually stuff some paper towels under the filter witch soaks up a lot of it.I try to change my oil just before washing the bike.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read a post talking about this and one of the parts listed for the oil change was brake cleaner. He cut the bottom and side out of a 2 liter soda bottle as best he could to fit it under the filter, removed the filter as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of oil spilled and once out he shot the front motor mount area with brake cleaner to get the remaining oil off.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Changed my oil and filter last Saturday. I have the same set up. I'm ready to take the oil cooler off. I haven't notice it helping keep the engine any cooler then when it didn't have one. There was so much residual oil dripping 2 days later I hooked up the garden hose to the laundry room faucet and hosed the section under the oil filter with hot water. The oil cooler might be in the classified section this spring....

Trucky911

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been making a big mess every change for 44,000 miles now. Next change, I'm using the filter drain gismo, but first, punch a hole in the end of the filter at the bottom and the top to try to drain the filter before removing it. Got the idea on this site so will give it a try.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
Changed my oil and filter last Saturday. I have the same set up. I'm ready to take the oil cooler off. I haven't notice it helping keep the engine any cooler then when it didn't have one. There was so much residual oil dripping 2 days later I hooked up the garden hose to the laundry room faucet and hosed the section under the oil filter with hot water. The oil cooler might be in the classified section this spring....

Trucky911
You should just pull it loose from the bracket and pull it up out of the way before you pull the filter.

The cooler is definitely helping keep your oil cooler. You shouldn't remove it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Punch a small hole w/ a very sharp awl or punch. It's a little slow, but the only real way to do it mess free.

Mark

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcretz
Read a post talking about this and one of the parts listed for the oil change was brake cleaner. He cut the bottom and side out of a 2 liter soda bottle as best he could to fit it under the filter, removed the filter as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of oil spilled and once out he shot the front motor mount area with brake cleaner to get the remaining oil off.
I used to do it this way but have changed. Now I take a center punch and punch a hole in the top edge of the filter; put the filter wrench on; place the soda bottle; stick the ratched extension through the bottle neck and rotate the filter to get the hole on the bottom. Let the oil drain out of the filter into the bottle. Remove bottle, carefully, and clean up the drop or two from the filter housing with brake cleaner and rag. Screw on new filter.

I also change with oil at operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess