Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

While on the subject... does anyone have hoses for the oil cooler other than rubber? Like braided lines for example? I always worry about one of those oil lines wearing a hole thru itself and springing a leak while on the road.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I just take a single piece of new copier/printer paper and place it underneath the filter and butt it up tight against the machined part of the filter adapter. I do this after I've got the filter loose enough to remove by hand. Then I loosen the filter until the oil starts running out of it. If you hold the paper still and tight against the adapter it makes a nice trough that the oil will run down and drain into a pan placed below the LH footboard. No fuss, no muss, no money. Oh, and if I do dribble a little down around the motor mount, I use ether starting fluid to flush it out. Ether is nice because it won't harm any paint, rubber, plastic, etc. Yeah, it's flammable, so of course be careful to not have any source of ignition around. About the best cleaner around!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 AM
ShabbySheikh
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Arizona & the braided lines, someone must make them.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good oil filter wrench & extensions to reach the filter, & a heavy duty aluminum foil trough to carry the drip away to a catch basin. Little to no oil on the bike, but a quick rinse with
S-100 or Simple Green if you get careless.

Attached Thumbnails Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess-dsc01669.jpg   Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess-dsc01202.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I use aluminum foil under the filter.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
While on the subject... does anyone have hoses for the oil cooler other than rubber? Like braided lines for example? I always worry about one of those oil lines wearing a hole thru itself and springing a leak while on the road.
I dont know if you going to find any that are pre-molded.
You could always buy some spares just in case.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread doesn't help me with my decision to go with the HD oil cooler. Guess I will still look around some more. Just don't like the cooler like the Jag 10 sticking out on the side of the scoot. The oil filter placement is bad enough without adding more interference in this area.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny D
http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML
This guy has good ideas about how to change your oil, not with an oil cooler, but look at this coke bottle trick.

Also I take my bike to the car wash and spray out the slop after the oil change.
This aint working with lowers. Just change it out and do some good wiping. HD cup type filter wrench a must

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Thats a good idea

Originally Posted by cdestuck
This aint working with lowers. Just change it out and do some good wiping. HD cup type filter wrench a must

I think next time I'll try that coke bottle thing but I'm going to first drill a half inch hole in my filter to let it drain faster. Between the high flow and that plastic bottle things should go alot cleaner.....good idea.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
This thread doesn't help me with my decision to go with the HD oil cooler. Guess I will still look around some more. Just don't like the cooler like the Jag 10 sticking out on the side of the scoot. The oil filter placement is bad enough without adding more interference in this area.
In my previous post the picture with the aluminum foil shows my HD oil cooler. It doesn't present any problem in changing the filter, & it dropped my oil temp. between 25 & 30 degrees.

Quick Reply: Oil filter + Oil Cooler What a Freaking mess