Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed bike, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Take the cash from insurance when they total it and get a new one. Before they take it though, take off all the good chrome, etc. that are still in good shape.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess totaled. September my 2011 Road King was totaled, estimated $12,000 to repair. Driver stopped at a stop sign and then pulled out in front of me. Got the call this morning, my 2011 Limited has arrived, I will take delivery on November 26th. The bad news is I live in Wisconsin so the dealership will be storing the bike until the first nice day in March.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
CustomRKC04
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your ok. I have worked at a H-D dealership in the past and it all depends on your insurance. I have seen some bikes that looked like they were beyond repair and they got a new frame, motor, swingarm, front end and all kinds of small stuff and we repaired it. But I have also seen a bike come in with very little damage and all it needed was an engine gaurd and a frame replacement and they totaled the bike. So like I said it depends on the insurance company.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
brunosrk
Tourer

First off, glad you're OK and it sounds like there weren't any serious injuries. A car hit me when I was riding my softail about five years ago. One of those left turns in front of me and didn't see me. Anyway . . . my insurance (Foremost) totaled it. I had it insured for full replacement value taking into consideration all the mods I did. With the help of my local dealer and my itemized list and receipts for the mods, we settled on $15,000. I bought the salvage back from them for $4,000 leaving me with $11,000 to put it back together and ended up with this.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 471 Likes on 289 Posts

Usually the bent frame is the killer. I would bet they total it.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its totaled went through this last year it got totaled cuz where the front engine guard mounts at the top the metal ripped and thats what totaled it.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Ditto on the comments about the frame. If the frame is indeed pooched, then you wouldn't want to ride after the repair. Take the $$ and seek out a new ride. Glad you are ok to tell us about it.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

A family member just crashed and they determined the frame was bent and sent her a new frame from the moco and asked for the neck of the olf frame in return as a core. They thought they were getting big money out of the deal but the only person that came out on top was the repair man.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main thing is you are both okay! Replace the bike and don't look back!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

All I can tell you is what my experiance is. When I had my wreck, the dealer told me they almost always fix them unless the frame is bent. He told me the frame is the determining factor on whether a bike is totalled or not. My repair was a little over 10.5K on a 5 year old Dyna. They didn't "fix" anything. Everything was replaced with a new part. My wheels were OK. The tranny was OK. The engine needed new cylinders due to broken fins. The carb was OK. Pretty much everything else was replaced. All new tins, forks, bars, lights, grips, exhaust, seat, mirrors, even my leather tool bag was replaced. I didn't think my bike was worth a heck of a lot more than the repair bill, but they fixed it just the same.

Quick Reply: Crashed bike, now what?