Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather causing rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cold weather causing rough idle

I have replaced the Air Intake Temp sensor, MAP, [Engine Temp sensor, fuel injectors (last winter)]. The bike runs great in warm weather but noticed when it gets down 40* or less it spits & sputters, even after running 15-20 min. I did adjust the TPS, so I think I may have gone a little to far with it (seems to be getting great mileage when it is warm outside). In the manual, all I found was take a reading with a volt meter & reinstall at the same value. Anyone know what the volts should be for a 1999 Ultra with M&M fuel injection? If not , I will do some trial & error. Thanks

Toby

Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loosen the screws slightly with it running and warmed up.Move it until the motor idles right,then tighten those screws back down.I had the same problem going by the book,idled like $hit.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

That's what I did, but it was warmer out & now that it is colder out, it runs like ****. I might have to do it when it is cold outside.

Toby

Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very long story short, I had a 00 EGC (sold it Dec 09) that did the same thing to me, after 6 months of changing ALL the sensors, metering wires, adjusting cold and warm idles, replacing o-rings etc etc. I took it to the dealer. They had it 7 days and had to get the big boyz at the factory involved. Not sure what they fixed but it ran/idled great once they were done. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
CustomRKC04
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you put a new Magnetti Marelli intake on it most likely you have an intake leak and it presents itself more so in colder weather because in warmer weather you engine aluminum is at its normal state then when the motor warms up and expands it seals the intake but in colder weather the aluminum is shrunk and needs longer to get to a normal state then past that. The Magnetti Marelli systems are very touchy and problematic that is why Harley changed to a Delphi set up.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I hear you on the M&M being touchy. I did not put a new intake on but did replace the seals. I will smoke it to see if there are any more that popped up because there were none when I got it back together & it ran great. I am also going to retest the TPS after I put it into the fridge to get it cold. Last year & this year both, it was running great & then started to run like crap & after I readjusted the TPS it was better. Now no matter where I put the TPS it runs like crap. But a intake leak would also do that. Thanks for all the help.

Toby