Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on installation of PC111

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Quickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on installation of PC111

Well guys, you finally talked me into ordering one from fuelmoto. I was just wondering if there were any installation tips on a RD King for the PC. I have read that some guys have fried their PC111,s by getting them wet. Are there any added installation tricks to help avoid such problems? Eg: wrapping electrical tape around connectors after installation. Any help will be apprieciated, you guys have been great. Thanx

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tips on installation of PC111

Not sure how getting wet would hurt it?, but I used dilectric grease on the connectors and I did not mount up inside the bike as the instructions say, I found it will fit perfect on top of the ecm, just use the zip ties it comes with to mount it. It tucks in perfect and makes it easy to make changes without pulling it all out again, cover fits right over with no problem.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:56 PM
bonzo2
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got mine last night. I have it at work today (new toy). I have it running on a 9V battery for power. I just loaded the map for my bike M807-005. What happens if I pull the battery off before installing, or do I need to keep battery on until I have all the cables plugged in to keep the map loaded?

06 Ultra
SE Pro One Slip Ons
SE Air Fiter
Stage 1 Flash

Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 02:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nothing, once map is loaded its there till you change it.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 PM
rollover
Road Captain

I installed mine the same way gunrunner did. I tried the spot Dynojet recommended but it kept falling down as the velcro wouldn't stick not to mention that it puts it in a place more prone to getting wet. I attached it to the ecm underneath the side cover also.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:50 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Not sure how getting wet would hurt it?, but I used dilectric grease on the connectors and I did not mount up inside the bike as the instructions say, I found it will fit perfect on top of the ecm, just use the zip ties it comes with to mount it. It tucks in perfect and makes it easy to make changes without pulling it all out again, cover fits right over with no problem.
Don't mean to HiJack thread, but if this thing takes a dump on you in the middle of nowhere, can you just unplug it and return the bike to stock ECM on the fly?

Old 09-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

tip for installation-have zip ties on hand-they are the best way of fastening the PCIII. I tried it the PC III instruction manual way and ended up just zip tying it to the ecm instead. Its been over a year and it works fine.

Dforeid- Yes and no. Yes you can just unplug it and your stock ecm will now operate normally. If you have only the PCIII and new pipes with stock air breather you will be fine. However, if you have a new air breather also (as most of us with PC IIIs do) the stock ecm will work fine, BUT, your bike will now run very lean due to all the air it is getting from the new air breather and could possibly damage your engine. So it is a judgement call as to weather or not you want to run it like that.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always have a roll of electrical tape in the saddlebag anyway so I figure if the PCIII ever goes down I would pull it and then wrap the K&N with some tape . . .basically choking some of the air from the bike by lowering the volume of air going into the intake. Obviously not covering the entire filter just 1/3 or so. What do you guys think?