Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dyno, or not to Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
No reason to. 1 computer does just fine. I wasn't pointing a finger at any specific software, just stating the fact that we started having issues when SEST came out. The SERT had differn't software for monitoring the bike, whith SEST it is running in conjuction with the tuning software. but like I said, the issues we had were with the USB hub not supplying enough power to the multiple hardware we have plugged into it. We also added a second monitor to the computer, in the form of a 42" plasma mounted in front if the dyno, on that screen I run the WinPed (dynojet) software and do the tuning on the computer monitor mounted on the stand next to me. You can see it behind this flat track bike.
Your dyno appears that it can do trikes, or can be converted to do trikes?

Sorry about the off topic question.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM
rags-46
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
You get what you pay for!
You're paying for his skill more than his time. Guys around here say just take it to an HD Dealer with a DYNO. THen I have to listen to them make excuses why their bikes ping, pop, fart, or just plain run like crap.
I'm with ya on that. Dave tuned my bike after he did some mods. first class work from JD's. I also know guys who went to that dealer, now they pop and get bad gas mileage.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Your dyno appears that it can do trikes, or can be converted to do trikes?

Sorry about the off topic question.
No, this is a DynoJet 250i. the 250ix will do trikes. I'm not sure if this one can be converted or not.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by harleytuner
No, this is a DynoJet 250i. the 250ix will do trikes. I'm not sure if this one can be converted or not.
The platform looked like it had room for it, in the picture.
Darn good machine, the 250i. Many call it the "honest" dyno. LOL

Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
The platform looked like it had room for it, in the picture.
Darn good machine, the 250i. Many call it the "honest" dyno. LOL
Yeah, but the drum would be offset for a trike. Yes it is a really good dyno.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Disclaimer: I know very little about tuning, tuning terms, AF ratios, etc. which is why I'm here. Please forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot. Now, onto the business at hand.

When I spoke with Doc, he told me that he will not do a tune with a SE tuner since TTS stopped making them because the settings on the new units will cause the engines to burn oil and pre-programmed AF limitations in the unit will not allow for an optimum tune. He also threw out some other technical mumbo jumbo that flew right over my head. However, given his stellar reputation amongst the members here and other places, combined with his resume, I took his word for it.

One more step I did take was to call the Harley dealership near his shop because he told me that they use him for their dyno tuning. I was curious as to why the Harley dealership would allow him to tune with non Harley tuners and, much to my surprise, the service manager there confirmed what Doc told me and also told me that SE tuners were not good for the bikes (didn't specify years, just said they weren't good).
Doc tuned my bike last weekend and he was telling me that smart tune sets the AFR at 14.7 and a bike tuned under a load with that fuel ratio can damage the rings. Harley sent out a service bulletin on this problem and their fix was to richen up the VE tables 5% after the tune was finished. "Finished" being the key word here, since the tune would have been at 14.7 and any potential damage would have occurred during that time. So I think that is what you are referring to.

Last edited by TickTock; 11-19-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rags-46
I'm with ya on that. Dave tuned my bike after he did some mods. first class work from JD's. I also know guys who went to that dealer, now they pop and get bad gas mileage.
I'm going to see Dave in about 2 weeks. He's putting in SE255's for me and doing a tune.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by TickTock
Doc tuned my bike last weekend and he was telling me that smart tune sets the AFR at 14.7 and a bike tuned under a load with that fuel ratio can damage the rings. Harley sent out a service bulletin on this problem and their fix was to richen up the VE tables 5% after the tune was finished. "Finished" being the key word here, since the tune would have been at 14.7 and any potential damage would have occurred during that time. So I think that is what you are referring to.
Thanks for that crystal clear update. I can understand the situation now.

Reminder to those that missed it: No longer talking about the traditional SERT. This is the newer Pro tuner crapola. Traditional sert is not burning up bikes.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, clarity is very important here especially when someone's reputation is on the line. Doc doesn't frequent these forums anymore and there is no way he can defend against misinformation or misunderstood information. Also worth noting is that he is an expert using the old style SERT and the TTS software. He also understands what it takes to tune a bike. When you understand these principals and tools as well as he does it makes sense that he can choose to use the tools he wants to for tuning. I can tell you firsthand that he is not going to do something he doesn't believe in just because you want him to do it. He wants you to be satisfied with his work and the only way he can guarantee that is for him to use the tools he knows will work.

Last edited by TickTock; 11-19-2010 at 10:45 AM.