Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dyno, or not to Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
We mainly tune the SERT, SEST, SEPST, TTS and PC's. It's all what the tuner is comfortable with, like you said. And that's really just a matter of being familiar with the software. the main problem with the SEPST software is the compatability with the computer. We had some problems at first, but made some changes to the computer and it took care of them. We run a 2 monitor setup now and that really helps, and if you are running a USB hub because of to many USB devices that could be a problem as well.
I've seen usb issues in a lot of other non related tasks. They can be fussy, especially when using hubs or adapters.
It pays to have the latest and greatest computer equipment when possible. Technology keeps racing along. Can't get left behind. LOL

Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluerider
Hey guys I have a 06 street glide I'll be doing a BB and cams to. Need a good tuner in the So Cal area,any ideas Thank
Depends on which tuning device your going to use. If using a PC, I highly reccommend Mickey Cohen.... Cohen Motorsports in Placentia.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I've seen usb issues in a lot of other non related tasks. They can be fussy, especially when using hubs or adapters.
It pays to have the latest and greatest computer equipment when possible. Technology keeps racing along. Can't get left behind. LOL
On one dyno we were running a computer with a non powered hub, had the Mouse, keyboard and VCI hook up in it, that thing froze all the time, really frustrating. Then I did some reading and reallized that the USB ports on the computer only put out so much power, and since the mouse, keyboard and VCI were all getting power from the hub it was "overloading" the system. Put a powered hub in, works great. Same setup on the other dyno.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

On one dyno we were running a computer with a non powered hub, had the Mouse, keyboard and VCI hook up in it, that thing froze all the time, really frustrating. Then I did some reading and reallized that the USB ports on the computer only put out so much power, and since the mouse, keyboard and VCI were all getting power from the hub it was "overloading" the system. Put a powered hub in, works great. Same setup on the other dyno.
That's good info to share. Might cure somebody's ills.

Darn sure gonna file that one in the memory bank.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SEPST, Software, and cables. The SEPST is the newer or orange version. I have a 6 year old laptop and have had zero problems using this setup to tune my 2009 FLHX. I think some people push a certain product for personal reasons and must complain about the competition. I am sure if there was an actual problem with the SEPST being a danger to your bike it would be all over the forums about actual problems and not merely "someone said they didn't like them" type problems. I am also sure that a certain mechanics ability and knowledge of a motorcycle has very little to do with his knowledge and abilities with computers and software. The more intuitive the tuner is the less the mechanic needs to know about the tuner and software. Of course the better the tuning device the less you need a "qualified" tuner.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tgshoe
I have a SEPST, Software, and cables. The SEPST is the newer or orange version. I have a 6 year old laptop and have had zero problems using this setup to tune my 2009 FLHX. I think some people push a certain product for personal reasons and must complain about the competition. I am sure if there was an actual problem with the SEPST being a danger to your bike it would be all over the forums about actual problems and not merely "someone said they didn't like them" type problems. I am also sure that a certain mechanics ability and knowledge of a motorcycle has very little to do with his knowledge and abilities with computers and software. The more intuitive the tuner is the less the mechanic needs to know about the tuner and software. Of course the better the tuning device the less you need a "qualified" tuner.

It's a little differn't on the dyno than it is when you self tune, we are running alot more programs at once. We are running the data program as well as the software for the dyno, so there is alot more going on in the room than in your garage. Have you ever been doing alot on your computer at once and had it freeze up? That's pretty much some of the issues we had with the SEST.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a little differn't on the dyno than it is when you self tune, we are running alot more programs at once. We are running the data program as well as the software for the dyno, so there is alot more going on in the room than in your garage. Have you ever been doing alot on your computer at once and had it freeze up? That's pretty much some of the issues we had with the SEST.
Seems to it would make sense to leverage multiple computers in the dyno room. Everything on a single point of failure is not a good idea -I had to offer my laptop to a dyno guy once because he couldn't keep his up. When you have multiple programs in conflict, it's hard to accurately point the finger at just one.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Seems to it would make sense to leverage multiple computers in the dyno room. Everything on a single point of failure is not a good idea -I had to offer my laptop to a dyno guy once because he couldn't keep his up. When you have multiple programs in conflict, it's hard to accurately point the finger at just one.
Having the latest and greatest puters would have to be sufficient. Multi-tasking is childs play for the latest stuff on the market. Won't kill ya financially either.

Some guys prefer to hang on to the old puters because they ain't broken.
But if they ain't up to the task, you get the headaches and interruptions.

The newer softwares often have lots of computer demands.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
No reason to. 1 computer does just fine. I wasn't pointing a finger at any specific software, just stating the fact that we started having issues when SEST came out. The SERT had differn't software for monitoring the bike, whith SEST it is running in conjuction with the tuning software. but like I said, the issues we had were with the USB hub not supplying enough power to the multiple hardware we have plugged into it. We also added a second monitor to the computer, in the form of a 42" plasma mounted in front if the dyno, on that screen I run the WinPed (dynojet) software and do the tuning on the computer monitor mounted on the stand next to me. You can see it behind this flat track bike.

Attached Thumbnails To Dyno, or not to Dyno?-15327_1340558246746_1614874157_822371_2678689_n.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Thank you for the info. I saw the upgrade option, but wasn't sure if that's what they were referring too. Do you know if authorized dealers can do that at their facility, or does it have to be sent off? Also, I found my part number, it's 32109-08B. Never told Doc, so maybe there's a chance he's referring to a different HD tuner.

Excuse me guys.... but isn't that the part number for a SE Pro tuner and not the SERT?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-se-tuner.html

So, Jpalm... forget about all the info on the upgrade. There is no such thing on the SE Pro tuner.

Quick Reply: To Dyno, or not to Dyno?