Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dyno, or not to Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fatboy was great with canned map and stage 1.....but on my limited the canned map that came with my tw6-6's was not very good.....had it dyno tuned and it improved significantly........when I went to the se255s I dyno tuned right off the bat...I don't think it could run better.....love it...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Stock cam is meant to satisfy the epa and a lot of heat is created in the process.
Without changing the cams, save your money and don't get the custom tune.

But if it were me in your shoes,......
I'd throw in some mild cams and take it to a reputable tuner. It will run much cooler and you will have a smile on your face while riding it.

Not sure you'll get enough gain to justify the tuning costs without upgrading the cams.

SERT burning up the 09 bike's? I have never heard of such a thing!
Somebody please point me to some threads that are discussing this phenomenon! (Been running one on my 08 almost since day one).
I'd be leary of any tuner that told me such a thing. Lemme guess, he has a different tuner that he'd be "willing" to sell you?

What he said. A set of 255's will liven that thing up considerable. The get it dyno tuned. A cheap mod and a large bang for the buck.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
What??? Are you sure you understood what he was saying?
Kind've what I was thinking. Trying to scare people into buying the TTS maybe?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

My dyno was worth every penny. My canned dealer map ran OK but was popping on decell. My rear cylinder was also very lean. Now it runs great and I got another 10 hp out of it.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default It's what I understood him to say

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
What??? Are you sure you understood what he was saying?
Disclaimer: I know very little about tuning, tuning terms, AF ratios, etc. which is why I'm here. Please forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot. Now, onto the business at hand.

When I spoke with Doc, he told me that he will not do a tune with a SE tuner since TTS stopped making them because the settings on the new units will cause the engines to burn oil and pre-programmed AF limitations in the unit will not allow for an optimum tune. He also threw out some other technical mumbo jumbo that flew right over my head. However, given his stellar reputation amongst the members here and other places, combined with his resume, I took his word for it.

One more step I did take was to call the Harley dealership near his shop because he told me that they use him for their dyno tuning. I was curious as to why the Harley dealership would allow him to tune with non Harley tuners and, much to my surprise, the service manager there confirmed what Doc told me and also told me that SE tuners were not good for the bikes (didn't specify years, just said they weren't good).

Old 11-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If SERT was burning up 09 bikes,.... there would be threads all over this board complaining about it. This thread is the VERY first mention of it, that I have seen.
And even that mention was second hand (not having actually experienced the 09 problem).

I understand that there are some riders out there that don't post here (LOL) but it still seems the odds are in favor of somebody here having an issue with it, if it was much of a problem.

Also, did you say "newer style" sert? Maybe yours isn't even one of those.

I'd do more research, before forking out bucks on a new unit. Maybe there is something to it. Need more info from more sources. Homework time.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard a few guys say that some tuners dont like the super tuner and wont use it. Something about it locking up their computer. So far the software is working pretty good on my laptop. Never heard of it blowing up a bike. I think I would have heard about it since I am in the middle of tuning my bike with the sepst and have searched just about all info I can about it.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I have heard a few guys say that some tuners dont like the super tuner and wont use it. Something about it locking up their computer. So far the software is working pretty good on my laptop. Never heard of it blowing up a bike. I think I would have heard about it since I am in the middle of tuning my bike with the sepst and have searched just about all info I can about it.
Yes, I heard the same from my tuner. He said that he has problems locking up the PC they display the charts on. In fact he took an entire day and a half to get my tune done because he had to keep starting over when the PC would lock up. He finally got through the process without a lock up. BTW, he still only charged me for 3 1/2 hours labor.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
If SERT was burning up 09 bikes,.... there would be threads all over this board complaining about it. This thread is the VERY first mention of it, that I have seen.
And even that mention was second hand (not having actually experienced the 09 problem).

I understand that there are some riders out there that don't post here (LOL) but it still seems the odds are in favor of somebody here having an issue with it, if it was much of a problem.

Also, did you say "newer style" sert? Maybe yours isn't even one of those.

I'd do more research, before forking out bucks on a new unit. Maybe there is something to it. Need more info from more sources. Homework time.
Perhaps using the term "burning up" was a mistake on my part. I definitely do not want to put words in people's mouths. He never specifically stated that the bike would leave the tuner and immediately die, only that the SERT is not a good tuning tool and can cause mechanical problems and/or failures. He did also mention the problem of the SERT locking up the computer and causing a tune to take much longer than it should.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

jpalm, I don't know if Doc mentioned to you but you can send your SERT out to TTS and they will upgrade it for you. That's what I did and then had it tuned. Good luck

http://www.mastertune.net/SERTUpgrade.html

Quick Reply: To Dyno, or not to Dyno?