Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dyno, or not to Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Have it dyno tuned with a custom map.Downloads are not the same.The bike will run better with a custom map.I would find a private Indy who has trained with the SERT.Call Doc at HDMD to see if he has trained someone in your area with the SERT.
Called DOC, fortunately he's only about 2 hours from me. He has informed me that I wasted my money on the SERT because they are burning up 2009 & up bikes. And to top that, since I already flashed my bike from it, I cannot reset it back to stock configuration and sell it to someone with a pre-2009 bike. When will it end? (I know, I know...probably never) So the plan now is to go see DOC and fork over more cashola for my new obsession.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Don't feel bad. I'm doing the same thing. Going to see Dave at JD's Cycles (trained by Doc) and canning my SEPST for a TTS.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
You went to Mickey, one of the best tuners So. Cal. has to offer when it comes to PC's!
Ya but then I get $h*t from people who believe it takes four or more hours to dyno.

I would do the same thing over again if it only took five minutes to do. He definitely knows his PC's.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Ya but then I get $h*t from people who believe it takes four or more hours to dyno.

I would do the same thing over again if it only took five minutes to do. He definitely knows his PC's.

You get what you pay for!
You're paying for his skill more than his time. Guys around here say just take it to an HD Dealer with a DYNO. THen I have to listen to them make excuses why their bikes ping, pop, fart, or just plain run like crap.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM
wtrskinut1
Advanced

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Don't feel bad. I'm doing the same thing. Going to see Dave at JD's Cycles (trained by Doc) and canning my SEPST for a TTS.
Just got my bike back from Dave. Had a 103 build done which included the tune so I don't know the cost of the tune, but I can say that the bike runs much better than the canned map that was in it. It has the SERT so that must not be a problem for an 08 bike.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
bdbaggr
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jpalm, your doing the right thing, bottom line is we all have thrown money away on our bikes from time to time, its more an investment in your happiness than anything else. i brought my bike to rc cycles in hayward (norcal) they are widely known as the place to go up here, but bob the tuner has over 5000 tunes and can run that dyno like a watch. it took him two hours and i was in the dyno with it, watching every move, it was great to be in there. take it in and do it right, dont sweat the money you will forget about it soon enough. ride safe.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO, sert and Dyno are overkill for a stage 1

Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock cam is meant to satisfy the epa and a lot of heat is created in the process.
Without changing the cams, save your money and don't get the custom tune.

But if it were me in your shoes,......
I'd throw in some mild cams and take it to a reputable tuner. It will run much cooler and you will have a smile on your face while riding it.

Not sure you'll get enough gain to justify the tuning costs without upgrading the cams.

SERT burning up the 09 bike's? I have never heard of such a thing!
Somebody please point me to some threads that are discussing this phenomenon! (Been running one on my 08 almost since day one).
I'd be leary of any tuner that told me such a thing. Lemme guess, he has a different tuner that he'd be "willing" to sell you?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 11-16-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I would try using the canned map(s) first as that is the economical thing to do.
If you are using cams that there are not maps for, then dyno it.

I don't think that a good tune should take over 3-4 hours tops.. JMO..
I agree a canned map should be all you need. A stage 1 upgrade as the OP described is going to give spotty if not a marginal increase in performance. Add cams, a big bore, or both then IMO a dyno is worth it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpalm
Called DOC, fortunately he's only about 2 hours from me. He has informed me that I wasted my money on the SERT because they are burning up 2009 & up bikes.
What??? Are you sure you understood what he was saying?

Quick Reply: To Dyno, or not to Dyno?