Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler or Temp Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
1fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Cooler or Temp Gauge?

I'm debating on installing a tempature gauge for my 2010 Ultra or should I just spend the money and buy the oil cooler instead and forget about the gauge? I'm currently running FuelMoto's Stage 1 w/PC-V, 09 headpipe w/o cat, Woods 6-6 cams and living in south Florida running Redline oils in all three holes. My minds telling me to buy the oil cooler and forget about the gauge. I just don't want to spend the money on the gauge and then worry about the tempature when I see it rise and then dump a lot more money on a cooler. I think I'm better off applying the money I'd be spending for the gauge to the cooler and be done with it.
Any sugesstions on the oil cooler? Any sugesstions would be appriciated.
How are the H-D Touring coolers?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fathog
I'm debating on installing a tempature gauge for my 2010 Ultra or should I just spend the money and buy the oil cooler instead and forget about the gauge? I'm currently running FuelMoto's Stage 1 w/PC-V, 09 headpipe w/o cat, Woods 6-6 cams and living in south Florida running Redline oils in all three holes. My minds telling me to buy the oil cooler and forget about the gauge. I just don't want to spend the money on the gauge and then worry about the tempature when I see it rise and then dump a lot more money on a cooler. I think I'm better off applying the money I'd be spending for the gauge to the cooler and be done with it.
If I were you, I'd get the gauge now and run the bike that way for a while to get a good idea what you temps are running. I did that on my 07. My temps dropped 20 to 30 degrees with the cooler.

Later you can get the cooler.

I do believe that all our touring bikes should come with oil coolers. My new 11 has one and so do all the CVO bikes.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
bstepHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dip-stick temp gauge on my '10 street glide and as a result I plan to add an oil cooler at my next service. I see temps in the 260º range even with outside temps in the low 60's. I didn't know about the in-dash gauge at the time or might have went that route. IMO, with the excessive heat these engines produce, an oil cooler should be standard equipment.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Mav
Tourer

I did the oil gauge a couple weeks ago. I removed the Air Temp and installed the Oil Temp in it's place. It's a nice addition plus it's useful vs the Air Temp. As far as coolers go, there are aftermarket ones available. Google "oil cooler for harley davidson". I'm not sure I need one. My bike lives on the open road and rarely do I sit in traffic...

Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't even buy a gauge. I would go to to Walmart, buy a meat thermometer and check your oil temps. Then, if you find that your temps are within optimal range, throw in your toolbox, quit worrying about oil temps and enjoy riding your bike....Matter of fact, that is what I did. 11 years ago, all I heard was " them new fangled Twin Cams run hot, you better get an oil cooler, electric fan, and run mega-buck syn oil or she'll melt down" I checked my temps found 'em acceptable and haven't worried about it for the past 81k miles.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I have both on both of my newest bikes. Doesn't need them but helps.
The bikes are more comfortable and perform better running cooler.

I would get the oil cooler first because why know the temp if you can't really do much about it (other than shutdown).

lp

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil Cooler

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil cooler.....

Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1fathog
I would say buy both.I run the Jagg 10 row oil cooler, & the Harley oil temp guauge.I like knowing what temp my bike is runnning at!! The Harley cooler I think is a 6 row.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
boom23
Tourer

The Oil Cooler is needed for your engine and it is very important (as far as I am concerned). The Oil Temp gauge is for you and can wait...

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler or Temp Gauge?