Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler or Temp Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Put the jagg oil cooler on mine, dropped temperature about 20 degrees. I did install the temp. gauge earlier which is why I installed the cooler. I think you should do the cooler first if you can't do both. Function over form

Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Are you saying that oil temp was at 230F when the front cylinder head temp was at 285F and with an oil cooler, the head temp rarely hits 285F?
No, ours is the same as yours. If the oil temp is 230+ our bikes go straight into EITMS mode if we are stopped. I have actually had it come on lower like at 210...just depends.

What I was trying to say is if we are inching along the EITMS does not come on because we never stop long enough. Takes like a minute for it to engage or something after you've stopped right? Won't come on if you're moving.

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-16-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
No, ours is the same as yours. If the oil temp is 230+ our bikes go straight into EITMS mode if we are stopped. I have actually had it come on lower like at 210...just depends.

What I was trying to say is if we are inching along the EITMS does not come on because we never stop long enough. Takes like a minute for it to engage or something after you've stopped right? Won't come on if you're moving.

lp
OK. I see what you mean. Good point. EITMS isn't not only a matter of temperature, it's also a matter of moving or not. My front cylinder is sometimes above 285F, yet, EITMS doesn't kick in because I'm moving just above 5mph.
If I stop, it takes something like a minute to kick in, you're right.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would put the oil cooler on and, if you like looking at something you have no control over, put the oil temp gauge in later. The cooler actually reduces the engine temps whereas the gauge just causes your body temp to climb because you can't do much more about the engine temp given what you have already done with the cooler IMHO.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I considered both essential when I bought my bike, and they were the first accessories I installed. If I had to make a choice between one or the other I would opt for the cooler, but would add the gauge sooner rather than later. I'm a believer in coolers for TC engines and I also like information. Oil temperature is critical info IMO, and I want to know what it is at all times. I use it more than any other gauge except the tach and speedo.

OTOH if you ride in winter like we do in S. LA you could probably do without the cooler 'til spring, so a fair argument could be made to install the gauge first. I wouldn't advise running a TC engine in the kind of heat we have here without a cooler, or anywhere else in the continental U.S. in summer.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Regarding the relationship between EITMS and engine temperatures, the point at which heat-management kicks in is related only to front head temperature, usually 285-290° depending on year-model. Oil temperature could be 150°, 300°, or anything in between when EITMS activates, as the temperature fluctuations at the head are much faster than the oil measured in the pan.

For those of you with a PCV and are connected to the J1850 port on the ECM, connect the PCV to your laptop, start the bike cold, and then watch how fast the engine-temp reading climbs when the bike is stationary. The head will heat up fast while the oil will be much slower. The oil also cools down much slower than head temp, so you could conceivably have 300° oil in the pan and be below the threshold for EITMS to activate.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Buy both if not oil cooler cause it's functional with the gauge all you can do pull over and blow on the motor to cool off.