Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHX wind turbulence

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Nat'l Cycle V-Strem on & it worked real good but it was too tall for me, so I changed it...I'm 5'9". My buddy got one too & he's 6'. Works perfect for him. If you're interested in mine PM me.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Bugspit
Cruiser

Without causing an argument with Tito I wanted to say that its not a wind issue. I have rode bikes all of my life with out a windshield and never minded the wind. The SG is a different dog all together. Its not the wind its the way it comes from all directions and shakes the riders head helmet. I wear glasses and can ride a bike w/o a winshield no problem, once im on my SG i cant get past 40 mph without having to put the shield on helmet down.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 07-19-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I am getting TURBULANCE from DrPlastic's avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bugspit
Without causing an argument with Tito I wanted to say that its not a wind issue. I have rode bikes all of my life with out a windshield and never minded the wind. The SG is a different dog all together. Its not the wind its the way it comes from all directions and shakes the riders head helmet. I wear glasses and can ride a bike w/o a winshield no problem, once im on my SG i cant get past 40 mph without having to put the shield on helmet down.
Hey, I get it. Really I do. There are so many threads on here about "turbulence" and "buffeting"...what's the expression?..."Fifty million Elvis fans cant be wrong." I don't think folks are making it up, I just don't notice it. I did change my windshield out to the smallest ultra flip I could get from from LRS, but that was more about diverting cold air over me, and putting the wind up and over my wife when she rides on the back.
Different strokes for differnt blokes.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master

Originally Posted by randytro
That's cool Tito, good for you. You're my hero.
Awww. That's cute. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TitoFTW
Maybe it's because I rode a softail standard with no windshield for 10 years before I bought a glide, but I don't understand the "turbulence" complaints. If you are afraid of the wind, drive your stinkin car.
Or maybe it's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Without a shield or fairing, you get zero to little turbulence/buffeting because you are riding in "clean" air.

It all has to do with torso, seat, and shield/fairing height. If you have the right combo (which you apparently do), you will not experience turbulence/buffeting.

I wasn't "afraid of the wind" doing 175mph on my race-replica, but I can't do over 40 mph on a stock Street Glide and that's why I bought a Road King instead.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master

Originally Posted by Damascus
Or maybe it's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Without a shield or fairing, you get zero to little turbulence/buffeting because you are riding in "clean" air.

It all has to do with torso, seat, and shield/fairing height. If you have the right combo (which you apparently do), you will not experience turbulence/buffeting.

I wasn't "afraid of the wind" doing 175mph on my race-replica, but I can't do over 40 mph on a stock Street Glide and that's why I bought a Road King instead.
No, I understand the issue. See my reply to Bugspit.
However, even with my stock setup I had no complaints. Maybe because it was my first bagger like I said? Having no experience behind a fairing or windshield to compare it to, I had no complaints about the wind.
Good point about "clean air".

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
young dunner
Intermediate

Take a look at the HD Sidekick seat. I have it on mine and love it!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Taller shield is about all you can do
No...taller w/s is only one of the fix actions w/FLHX buffeting. I'm 5'11" & have 8.5" Klock Werks shield, HD fairing wings & fork baffle. With all three - wind totally bypasses from all angles (over, under & sides). Works quite well...

Quick Reply: FLHX wind turbulence