Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE compensator installation completed

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default SE compensator installation completed

Yesterday I installed the SE compensator in my '09 Ultra. It went fairly easily, but did have to grind about a 1/16th or so from the case, which turned out to be a non event. All told it probably took about an hour and a half, did not have to remvoe the clutch pack to remove the chain, which was a relief. Even after covering everything with rags there was still quite a bit of aluminum dust in the primary area, I washed that down very well with Remington Gun Scrubber, which did a great job.

The test ride after the installation went well and I could tell some difference but not anything earth shattering. The click, clack that the OEM compensator made is gone and the whole bike felt a little more substantial if you know what I mean. I didn't get a chance to take it on the road for very long but I am generally pleased with the whole thing. I was chasing a vibration that I thought may have been in the primary and that is different now, maybe not gone but at least less, and I am now confident everythnig is as it should be.

I had trouble finding the correct socket size for the compensator bolt, assuming I would have to buy some large size that I didn't have, it turns out that both the original and the SE are 13/16th so no promlem there. A ft/lb toruqe wrench is a neccesity. I got the cheap bar and beam type from Sears for $29 and it worked great.
Mud has a great thread about the whole thing which helped a lot.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...mpensator.html

Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try to have it done under warranty before doing it yourself? I want to have my done, but If I can get the warranty to cover it I would rather. Just at the moment it's not acting up yet.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:25 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Did you try to have it done under warranty before doing it yourself? I want to have my done, but If I can get the warranty to cover it I would rather. Just at the moment it's not acting up yet.
No my bike is out of warranty, I complained about the vibration several times while it was under warranty but got the Harley run around. If you can convince them it needs changing then go for it. I thnik the dealers say it is only an hour labor charge, which sounds about right. I could probably do the next one in an hour or less now that I have done one.