Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CT Riders & Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 02:14 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
........I don't know any of you and really don't care about your lives..........

Ron
Ouch, and here I thought you loved each and every one of us? Even though I'm kidding, that's still a pretty harsh statement to say to anyone, don't you think? I don't know many on here, personally, but to say I don't care about their lives would show my lack of compassion for mankind. Not to mention the families and friends of all of the fellow forum members who happen to share a common interest. But that's just me I guess. I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't enjoy the people on it...... Well, most of them anyways.

Old 11-15-2010 | 03:00 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Ouch, and here I thought you loved each and every one of us? Even though I'm kidding, that's still a pretty harsh statement to say to anyone, don't you think? I don't know many on here, personally, but to say I don't care about their lives would show my lack of compassion for mankind. Not to mention the families and friends of all of the fellow forum members who happen to share a common interest. But that's just me I guess. I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't enjoy the people on it...... Well, most of them anyways.
Actually I wouldn't post here, especially about things that can only demean myself, if I was truly heartless. My comment was meant to preclude charges of my being a 'preacher'. It didn't work.

For some reason my posts seem to upset some people, and yet these same people will accept nonsensical posts such as a helmet will "inhibit vision or hearing, break a riders neck, etc.".

I often wonder why people don't comment about the restrictions placed on arm movement by wearing a jacket? It is actually kind of funny. Another forum where I post allows people to give 'rep' points to posters when they support a post. I don't have a lot of 'rep' points there, but most of the ones I do have are from people thanking me for my posts.

On this forum, a fellow forum member sent me a private message thanking me for a post. He indicated that he didn't want to get in volved in the kind of debate that my posts sometimes generate. It is sometimes difficult to put yourself out there for public derision.

Until you come to grips with life after a head injury, then you don't care anymore what anyone thinks of you. My life didn't turn out too bad because I was young and still had my parents. And I am well educated. But life would really be tough if I wasn't.

Ron

Old 11-15-2010 | 03:20 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

rjg your post seemed completely accurate to me, you dont have to justify yourself here. Just keep posting, this is why I like this particular forum, all opinions welcome (granted you might get gently flamed).

I wear a helmet 50/50 depending where I ride and weather.

Old 11-15-2010 | 03:29 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Riding 34 years,no helmet. My choice.

Old 11-15-2010 | 03:43 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
i dont own a helmet, wouldnt wear it anyway.. makes my head itch,looks dumb,blocks vision,blocks sound,and it makes me disorented from the bobble head effect..if you hit the road withthe extra weight on your head ,it is the first thing to whip around.my mom used to tell me a story about a guy coming in to her ER,they brought his body,and helmet with his head still in it..a helmet is only good for 25-35mph anyway, i saw a guy i knew from my neighborhood growing up,retired bike cop,was hit by a car in an intersection,i will never forget seeing two halfs of a police helmet with his brains between it in the middle of the road..i would like to get one of those skid lidz just to keep the wind out of my hair on the highway,it kind of bugs me with the 3"windsheild
So what are you saying there? You bought a touring bike and never leave the state? Seems like such a waste to me.

Old 11-15-2010 | 06:49 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear mine on the longer rides;work,weekend rides,etc.

I dont wear it when I go to the bank,pub,or just staying around town.

Mark.

Old 11-15-2010 | 09:25 AM
CT-Bagger
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Wow, that's some funny stuff! Especially "I think it is stupidity to be in a moving vehicle without a full face helmet".

Consider this:

The time spent wearing a helmet is usually only a few minutes, to a few hours, at a time. A head injury is always and forever. Some of us, the lucky ones, that receive these injuries have to relearn to walk, talk, write, a manner in which we can support ourselves and our families, etc..

The next luckiest group of people that receive head injuries die instantly as a result. It may leave their families in a bind, but since the rider that suffered the injury will never know about the struggles their families face, why bother even considering the possibility.

The real unfortunate ones 'live' for years. And during this time they must be tended to as if they are infants, or worse. On the plus side these people, actually their family or whoever takes care of them, will probably receive a stipend from the government.

Another consideration is the fact that while "the most common injury in an automobile accident is head trauma", that usually occurs only in a serious accident. Especially if the people are wearing seat belts. A minor 'fender bender' sort of accident on a motorcycle can result in a head injury. Especially if the rider isn't wearing a helmet.

Okay Flame On! But before you do consider this: I don't recommend anyone wear, or not wear, a helmet. I don't know any of you and really don't care about your lives. But for 'freedom of choice' to be really 'free' the undecided should hear from all sides of an issue right?

Ron

Old 11-15-2010 | 10:16 AM
CT-Bagger
|
Road Master

And another thread goes into the toilet.

Old 11-15-2010 | 10:30 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-Bagger

And another thread goes into the toilet.
Try posting these worthless threads in the off topic forum, this is a "touring model" forum, not a "why" forum. The moderators aren't policing much lately, or this would have been moved or **** canned.

Old 11-15-2010 | 11:37 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

wore helmets up until our accident ...................then started going without . its now a weather thing for me. go figure. not smart i guess but should still b evry adults choice IMHO

Quick Reply: CT Riders & Helmets