Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Off Center 3/16".. 2009 Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inverse121
Did I read right that you were using the rotors to check alignment?
The hubs are not the same width Front and Rear.
Your wheels.tires are not the same width front and rear are they?

Not sure what front ends you are using, but the ones with which I am familiar do not has same size spacers on both sides.
Most have a stepped axle.
Im cutting the spacers from stock on a Lathe so they are equal length. I've never worked with HD spacers.

Im measuring alignment of the tires by using the sides of the rear tires and the front rotors. If the front tire is centered and the rotors are equal distance from the center of the rim they are perfect for this.
I don't expect them to line up perfect I expect any visible gaps to be equal on both sides. That will tell me if the line of my fry and rear tires are the same.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:57 PM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Even if you are cutting spacers on a lathe, most front ends use a stepped axle and not equal length spacers, but I probably don't have the chopper experience you do.

Sounds like you are measuring correctly, thanks for that explanation. I believe the rear tire is likely offset, the motor company has offset the rear tire since the beginning of time. I am not home to go out and check my FLHT or I would do it just for posterity.

This is a good question, I hope it gets resolved, please keep us updated.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

The spacers on pre 08 bikes are different thickness side to side, 08 & later are the same, that's why when putting late model wheels on an earlier bike you need to use the late model axle & spacers, or make up your own. Does your bike pull to the left or right when you take your hands off the bars at highway speeds?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Yes I have to keep a little pressure on the bars all the time at hwy speeds or else it drifts to one side.

Appreciate all the feedback by the way!

I think the answer is going to end up that it was designed that way but Im hoping not cause I can feel it.
I've complained to the dealer and they always said its normal. I didnt have a straight edge long enough to measure it myself until recently.

Last edited by jasnusc; 11-14-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:22 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,118 Likes on 22,588 Posts

Good catch jasnusc...good catch..I'd be a calliln' my service dept..

Out of curiousity, what made or was the deciding factor in this?
Did or would not the bike run straight down the road w/out holding the handebars, or was it wobbly,or?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Good catch jasnusc...good catch..I'd be a calliln' my service dept..

Out of curiousity, what made or was the deciding factor in this?
Did or would not the bike run straight down the road w/out holding the handebars, or was it wobbly,or?
Its just never tracked well. Its not severe but I notice it. I thought my handle bars were crooked at first but they werent.

It actually turns differently right and left. One way its more of a roll and the other its more of a sharp pull. If youve ever had a rear tire out of alignment, twisted in the swingarm, you will know what I mean.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mav
harley front wheel spacers are not equal in size
They are equal in size on my 09

Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

Check the alignment on the rear wheel, there's enough slop in those adjuster cams to have the rear tire off slightly, that's about the only way that the alignment can be off other than the frame being out of whack. The right side cam isn't a real tight fit against the flat on the axle, meaning the right side could be slightly further forward. I change my own tires & I always check this, it only takes a 32nd to give you pull. That said the crown in the road will also give you a slight pull, I always check on both lanes of a 4 lane to see if the pull is still there, even more weight in one saddlebag than the other can cause a pull, just throwing this all out there. hope you solve your problem, good luck.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
They are equal in size on my 09
Yeah I misspoke. Pre 08 are not equal....

Old 11-14-2010, 08:44 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Check the alignment on the rear wheel, there's enough slop in those adjuster cams to have the rear tire off slightly, that's about the only way that the alignment can be off other than the frame being out of whack. The right side cam isn't a real tight fit against the flat on the axle, meaning the right side could be slightly further forward. I change my own tires & I always check this, it only takes a 32nd to give you pull. That said the crown in the road will also give you a slight pull, I always check on both lanes of a 4 lane to see if the pull is still there, even more weight in one saddlebag than the other can cause a pull, just throwing this all out there. hope you solve your problem, good luck.
Appreciate the response but unfortunately its not an alignment problem its an offset problem. The tire is pointing perfectly straight.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Off Center 3/16".. 2009 Streetglide