Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting and Shifting - What's "Normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Seadweller
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting and Shifting - What's "Normal"?

Greetings,

I've never owned a Harley until my recent acquisition of a 2008 Road King, so I'm not sure what is "normal," and what isn't. I've only had time to ride the bike a few times, for short distances. It's currently got around 13.5K on the clock.

I'm trying to determine if some of the things I'm experiencing are normal. For example, when I start the bike, there's a loud bang associated with it, almost like a gunshot. When I put the bike in gear, it "clunks," and also "clunks" when shifting through gears.

The dry clutch on my Ducati's made a racket, but that's the way it was designed, and you get used to it. I just want to be certain what I'm experiencing is also part of the Harley "experience," before I get to breaking something expensive.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master

The bang, if it's a backfire, is a tuning issue. The clunk is something I experienced with my bike until I changed the tranny fluid to Redline and it quieted it down a ton.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain

If the bang is not a backfire I think you may have an issue with the compensator.... Clunk is fine...clunk is good....CLUNK away!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Backfire my not always be a tuning issue. You may have an intake or exhaust leak somewhere.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Seadweller
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. The "bang" is definitely not a backfire, as it's mechanical in nature, and related to the starter in some way. Is the gear on the starter retracting supposed to make that loud a noise?

Regarding the clutch, even though my Ducati clutch made a racket, the bike shifted into gear like butter. I guess I'll just have to get used to "cracking" into gear with the Road King.

I have to say, transitioning from a sport bike to the Road King has been easier than I thought. I just wish the foot boards were more forward. I feel like I'm sitting in a chair when riding it.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clunk (especially from neutral to first) is largely a function of clutch adjustment and the type of fluid used. I had good results using Formula+ and I've been on automotive Type F ATF in the primary for quite some time now. No noise at all shifting from neutral to first and the rest of the gears are relatively quiet as well.

Some fluids used in the primary seem to cause the clutch plates to stick together more than others. That's been my experience at least....

Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The clunks are normal. The bang at start is not, if it bothers you install the HD/Screamin' Eagle/Trike compensator in the primary. The bang is the compensator sprocket bottoming out.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Yup, SE compensator is in your future. As well, try running Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Forget your Ducati. You have a Harley now. Welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical noise. Took me a while to get used to it coming over from Rice Burners.
You'll grow to love it. Been riding Harleys for 15 yrs now and won't go back.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As blusmbl said that start-up BANG! you're hearing comes from the compensator sprocket. Very annoying (I'd like to crotch kick the HD engineer responsible for that one but I imagine I'd be at the end of a long line). Twin Cam tranny's are the "clunkiest" compared to anything previous - my Evo shifts buttery smooth in comparison. Look to the SE compensator that dawg refers to for relief from that obnoxious banging.

Quick Reply: Starting and Shifting - What's "Normal"?