Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definition of Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM
waltr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition of Clatter

It would be nice if everyone that has a claimed clatter noise on their '07 touring models could get together and see if we are all talking about the same thing. In the event that there may be more than one source for that noise can we with the claimed problem describe in best detail anything that would identify the clatter we are hearing. Here is my decription: mostly in 6'th gear but now in 5'th but less, only occurs at very small throttle openings, seems to me to come from right side (I know sound travels), occurs in 6'th from 55-68MPH and at speeds above that but starts to reduce in intensity greatly, I wear a full face Shoei helmet, sound has been with bike since brand new now at 5,052 miles, picked bike up 7/23/06. I would not describe the sound as rocks in a can but more like loose metal on metal--my initial impression is the sound is not muted enough to be tranmission, I still suspect exhaust.
This is all I can think to say--if you can add a little to how you percieve your own clatter sound please help--lets now make this post a bitch session.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Definition of Clatter

ORIGINAL: waltr
--lets now make this post a bitch session.
"now" or "not"? [&:]

Old 09-21-2006, 01:04 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't matter, it will
ORIGINAL: PhilM

--lets now make this post a bitch session.
"now" or "not"? [&:]

Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 PM
RoadGlide07
Advanced

waltr... maybe your on to something.

The noise I hear sounds like it could be coming from the exhaust. It occurs under the same throttle conditions as yours. At very small throttle openings in 4th and 5th especially. Adding more throttle and it goes away. When cold it happens only at low rpms of less than 2K. As it warms up it seems to do this at higher rpms of up to 2500 in 5th gear. I had a thought that it might be fuel mixture related but don't have a good way to test this. I was told that some exhaust popping can occur on acceleration with extreme lean conditions. If I had a PCIII installed I would increase the fuel mixture at low throttle openings and low RPMs to see the effect.

I tried disconnecting of the O2 sensors as an experiment. My theory being that it was being set to even a leaner condition when hot and when O2 sensors were coming into play. I am sure there is more involved here but it did seem like the noise was now better when hot. I am tempted to purchase a PCIII to test this further but I was waiting for the 07 version to be released.

I was told that the ECM would go into a fail safe operation mode when the O2 sensors were disconnected which could effect performance. I didn't notice any change in performance and no check engine light came on so it seemed fine to me. Has anybody else tried this?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the transmission thread further down the page on this site.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 AM
waltr
Cruiser

I meant to say "not" instead of "now". I have supertrapp slip-ons and SE A/C and a Techlusion TFI box and can say it is not mixture related. But I took a suggestion and changed my trans oil to Amsoil. I had some 75W90 so I used that and have not had the time to ride it past about 10 miles and the clatter sound seems to have diminished in occurance. I have to put on some miles and get the bike fully hot before I am convinced it has really helped. I definatly shifts much better though, much better.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

So how did this thread ever die????
My 07 does exactly the same thing, low throttle and it sounds like a rod is going to come through the case, add some throttle and the noise goes away, I also think it is coming from the exhaust but can't be sure.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if everyone that has a claimed clatter noise on their '07 touring models could get together and see if we are all talking about the same thing. In the event that there may be more than one source for that noise can we with the claimed problem describe in best detail anything that would identify the clatter we are hearing. Here is my decription: mostly in 6'th gear but now in 5'th but less, only occurs at very small throttle openings, seems to me to come from right side (I know sound travels), occurs in 6'th from 55-68MPH and at speeds above that but starts to reduce in intensity greatly, I wear a full face Shoei helmet, sound has been with bike since brand new now at 5,052 miles, picked bike up 7/23/06. I would not describe the sound as rocks in a can but more like loose metal on metal--my initial impression is the sound is not muted enough to be tranmission, I still suspect exhaust.
This is all I can think to say--if you can add a little to how you percieve your own clatter sound please help--lets now make this post a bitch session.

"occurs in 6'th from 55-68MPH" Thats 5th gear for me, I'm not even in 6th gear until around 70MPH.

With that said, I get the clatter in 5th only, and only at low end of range in gear. Definitely sounds like small rocks being shaken in a coffee can IMO. I just roll on some throttle and ride it, if it fails, let'em install a new one.

Bike was built 3/07, so the issue never went away from the early '07s. Picked up on 4/20, 2K + miles now and do love it though!!

Ez

Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM
lawmanadam
Advanced

Just got my 07 FLHR yesterday and noticed the same thing you guys are talking about. I thought it was just me being ****! I am about to the point of the other guy"let em install a new one if it breaks!"

Old 05-27-2007, 01:27 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

So much for the "Build Date Theory"......

Quick Reply: Definition of Clatter