Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what everyone is talking about.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
What effect would tire pressue have ? I run my front & back in the low 40's and keep rear shock pressue high as well.I wonder how much individual riding style,the line through a turn and lean angle etc have to do with it.??? Different riders can blast through a turn equally fast at different lean angles.
Honestly......I haven't a clue. Softer sidewalls should flex and hold better? I guess I should have stated that the tire pressure is something I have read on here in a few older posts. One poster recently said he went to his dealer to complain of wobble and they reduced his TP and said "problem solved."

I do not put much stock in it making any difference but since the 36/36 is recommended pressure (I ride 90% of time 1-up) I think I will try it.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Never noticed it on my old '06 Road Glide.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually experienced the REAL WOBBLE from the swing arm issue.

I rented an '09 FLHTCU and thought it was a dream bike until I went into a right hand corner. I felt comfortable with the speed and the lean having taken a few left handers.

What I experienced was a very un-natural rear swing arm shift causing an extremely un-stable wobble going into, around and out of the corner.

All day I tested this issue and I swear it was consistently wobbling on all right hand cornering.

I took the bike back to the dealers and mentioned their rental had an odd issue while making right hand corners and they didn't say a word.

Wasn't until I talked to several other long time Harley riders that my noticing an issue with right handed turns and the swing arm wobble that I was told this is an issue from the factory and that there are aftermarket bushing to cure the trouble.

Now I'm just passing on what I felt and what I was told.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem usually manifest itself when the bike is fully loaded in the suspension. By that I mean the combination of load weight and G-force bottoming out the suspension. Speed is the most contributing factor for this to occur. This forces the flexing in the rear anchor point of the motor. Yes, tire pressure can effect handling but, for this problem it's mostly full compression of the suspension.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It has only happened to me once, I was on an entrance ramp to an interstate, the ramp had a left hand sweeper turn, I was aggresively increasing my speed to bring me up to approx 80 MPH, the normal speed of this interstate. This entrance ramp had the ice grooves ground in it and I'm sure that I had cut across some of them that caused the resonate frequency that it took to trip the wobble off. I've been on that entrance ramp many time before and after that being careful never to hit that resonance again, I thought I was going to lose it as I entered that busy interstate.

I think the common link here from everyone's experiance is riding aggressivly. Believe me, when those handle bars wanted to whip from side to side at several times per second, you require all the strength you have to minimize that until you slow down (or possibly speed up, someone else can try that) to get out of this resonance issue, especially when in a curve. I'm no longer as aggresive as I once was, maybe a good thing regardless.

Last edited by geargrinder; 11-10-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Jerry55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to have this issue on my 02 RK, only mine was fairly consistant in that it occurred at about 80 mph. It started after 40,000 trouble free miles which makes me think it was probably the isolation mount issue mentioned earlier. I traded the bike for a new one, so not sure what the actual fix was.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotorSgt
Ive seen a few threads about wobble and unstable riding on there baggers. Does it happen to every bike? I ride my RKCustom pretty hard and Im not sure I have ever experienced it. I ask because I saw an add today for www.Sta-bo.com. I checked out the site and the product seemed to be reasonably priced. My curiosity is getting the better of me. Has anyone used this product? I have seen threads about bagger brace etc... but this looks like a different approach to the problem. Just curious thanks guys
I think that is what the 2009 frame upgrades were all about.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Actually experienced the REAL WOBBLE from the swing arm issue.

I rented an '09 FLHTCU and thought it was a dream bike until I went into a right hand corner. I felt comfortable with the speed and the lean having taken a few left handers.

What I experienced was a very un-natural rear swing arm shift causing an extremely un-stable wobble going into, around and out of the corner.

All day I tested this issue and I swear it was consistently wobbling on all right hand cornering.

I took the bike back to the dealers and mentioned their rental had an odd issue while making right hand corners and they didn't say a word.

Wasn't until I talked to several other long time Harley riders that my noticing an issue with right handed turns and the swing arm wobble that I was told this is an issue from the factory and that there are aftermarket bushing to cure the trouble.

Now I'm just passing on what I felt and what I was told.
You rented an 09. Don't understand why you would have the problem since the new frame design was "supposed" to eliminate it. Maybe it was related to a different problem. After all it was a rental.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The engine/transmission/swingarm assembly is mounted in the frame on two sets of rubber mounts, one at the front of the engine, the other behind the transmission. Rubber by its very nature has a degree of 'give' in it and this is the source of the wobble/rear steer that some owners experience.

Harley partly cures the problem by fitting two stabilizer links, one adjacent to the front mount and another between the heads (on the front head for the latest bikes). Unfortunately they do not provide a stabilizer for the rear mount, but Erik Buell, who invented the system, fitted the extra stabilizer on all his own bikes. So his rubber mount system works extremely well when there are three stabilizers.

The accessory market has jumped on this opportunity and there are at least a dozen different brands out there, all selling their various potients to cure handling ills. They are also available for the latest touring bikes, because while they have a better set-up they still suffer from the missing stabilizer. Dynas have two stabilizers missing!

Personally I have True-Track kits on both my Glide and Dyna and they improve the ride and handling substantially. Along with my Buell I have three bikes each with three stabilizers. It's the only way to travel!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-10-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not necessary with new frame '09 and later. Personal preference prior to that.

Quick Reply: Not sure what everyone is talking about.