Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little more punch from my 2006 RG

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Little more punch from my 2006 RG

I just bought a 2006 RG (stock) after riding a dyna for last few years. I am a little disappointed in the performance from the twin cam 88. My dyna is an 07 with Vance and Hines big Radius and it will slip some rubber pretty easily when I get on the throttle (which I like). I never really liked the loudness of the Big Radius though(came with the bike).

My question is, is this just a displacement issue that I will have to live with unless I do a big bore kit or can I expect similar throttle response if I just put some slips on, or do I need a whole exhaust set up. I like listening to my new stereo, so I don't want the exhaust too loud but it is a little quiet right now. I don't want to blow a lot of cash if it isn't going to make me hold on tighter.

I saw some rhineheart black true duals on ebay for about 420.00 not sure if it is a problem pipe, seems pretty cheap. Part number 1800-0992 or R5-3220BG. Appreciate your thoughts on this item.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts

I had an '05 Ultra a few years ago. Added a Big Sucker intake, D&D Fatcat pipe and power commander. I was very happy with the power, the PC was tuned to give power with decent gas mileage. The Fatcat pipe was the biggest single increase.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:22 AM
inverse121
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJOR
My question is, is this just a displacement issue that I will have to live with unless I do a big bore kit or can I expect similar throttle response if I just put some slips on, or do I need a whole exhaust set up. I like listening to my new stereo, so I don't want the exhaust too loud but it is a little quiet right now. I don't want to blow a lot of cash if it isn't going to make me hold on tighter..
Its not just a displacement issue, its also a weight issue.
A touring bike weighs a lot more than a dyna.

There is no magic wand and pipes are not going to give you a hug improvement and they are not going to make you have to hold on a lot tighter.

Big Bore is the best bang for the buck. But a simple improvement would be to change cams (tw21 or tw26) and bump the compression a little by shaving the heads and an .030 head gasket.

To get similar performance to your dyna, you will need to have similar power to weight ratio on the bagger.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Weight is the killer on the Touring models, we also have a softail in the garage and compared to my Ultra, the Springer has night and day more pull.....

Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 88 dyna and an 88 dresser. Both have cams and pipes, however the dyna will run off and leave the dresser. Bottom line is weight. When you are on the dresser its all about the ride, not the power or noise. Get to cruiseing speed and enjoy the scenery.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 06 RG with the HD 95" stage II w/203 cam, duals, dyno tuned PCIII...and I had plenty of go power even riding 2-up pulling a trailer....all while getting decent mileage.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJOR
I just bought a 2006 RG (stock) after riding a dyna for last few years. I am a little disappointed in the performance from the twin cam 88. My dyna is an 07 with Vance and Hines big Radius and it will slip some rubber pretty easily when I get on the throttle (which I like). I never really liked the loudness of the Big Radius though(came with the bike).

My question is, is this just a displacement issue that I will have to live with unless I do a big bore kit or can I expect similar throttle response if I just put some slips on, or do I need a whole exhaust set up. I like listening to my new stereo, so I don't want the exhaust too loud but it is a little quiet right now. I don't want to blow a lot of cash if it isn't going to make me hold on tighter.

I saw some rhineheart black true duals on ebay for about 420.00 not sure if it is a problem pipe, seems pretty cheap. Part number 1800-0992 or R5-3220BG. Appreciate your thoughts on this item.
I didn't like how loud my V&H bR's were either. I put in some big city baffles p# qt 1845 and they really helped. Big bore and a set of cams that will pull hard at lower rpm's will help alot but, as stated above baggers are very heavy so you need to get all that weight moving as quick as possible. If thats what your looking for

Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a DIY (cheap) kind of guy. Wondering if the big bore kit is something I can tackle? Cams sound too complicated. But how hard to switch out the cylinders and pistons? I've never rebuilt an engine but taken a few apart to see what makes em run. Anyone done this at home or is this a shop job? I watched a you tube video and it looks like something I can manage.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Warhawk
Tourer

Received 191 Likes on 89 Posts

Not sure where you are at in Texas, if you're near Fort Worth you should consider buying a "Hi-Torque Pork" kit from AMS Machine.

http://www.automotivemachine.com/ind...d=46&Itemid=53

Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Stealership put a 95" kit (Stage I & II) on my new 06' FLHRCI right out of the crate. Riding solo it's got plenty, two up it's ok. Bigger is better. My friend went from a 96 to a 103 on his 07'. Go as big as you can is my advice.

Quick Reply: Little more punch from my 2006 RG