Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!

If you are thinking about buying Chromite cables from Magnum, a word of caution. Chromite don’t look like chrome folks, it looks more like the inside of beer can, it leans to the white side of the spectrum and it does not match the chrome on your bike. It is really hard to tell from the pics on the website and the pics I’m posting, but when you get this stuff out in natural sunlight the appearance is disappointing if you are trying to match your chrome. I believe the polished stainless offerings are a better compliment to existing chrome. It is not a perfect match either, but side by side, it is the lesser of the two evils(my opinion, of course). The good news, which I found out too late, Magnum will send you samples if you ask them, I highly recommend it before dropping big $ on your cables. The bad news, under the purview of the small print in their contractual verbiage, if you don’t like the appearance of your cables, that’s justs too bad. They see that situation the same as if you blatantly ordered the wrong cables for your application, it’s your error and you must pay the 20% restocking fee if you want to exchange. Some folks may like the appearance of the Chromite, and that’s ok. I’m just offering my experience as someone who was looking for cables that would match the chrome on my bike; if you are a chrome purist, you probably won't be happy with chromite. I put my samples beside a chrome mirror stem for comparison; stem, stainless, chromite, black, and another pic against the bike trans cover and pipes (stainless middle, fluorescent light). Again the angle and lighting of pics will not give you a true representation of what these look like in person, order the samples.

Attached Thumbnails Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!-100_0736.jpg   Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!-100_0737.jpg   Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!-100_0733.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEED CHROME!!

Omg my braided cadles arent chrome AHAH WHERES MY LAWYER

Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The best thing about the Sterling chromite II cables is that they will never fade or yellow like many other brands will. As far as being a perfect match, they are what they are. I still think they look far better than any other cables on the market

Drew

The following users liked this post:
cadreamn (07-02-2021)
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I have Magnum's Sterling Chromite II cables on my chromed out 2009 Street Glide and it matches my chrome better than any other set of lines out there. Nobody else makes anything closer to the chrome look or I would have it. They look great on my bike. If anyone wants pics, email us and I will email you pics of my bike with the cables installed so you can see that they match chrome the best. It isn't an exact chrome match, but the closest you can get.

Shawn

cadreamn (07-02-2021)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
reefrider
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The best thing about the Sterling chromite II cables is that they will never fade or yellow like many other brands will. As far as being a perfect match, they are what they are. I still think they look far better than any other cables on the market

Drew
Drew, Do you know what the warranty is for product defects on the magnum chromite brake cables? I have a front brake line that is leaking from the inside on my road king. Installed May 08'.
Thanks, RR

Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Call Magnum shielding and talk to them or the dealer you bought them from. We have not had this issue as of yet.

Drew

Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I apologize folks, its obvious that my opinion must be wrong. Especially since two different Dr. V-Twins agree that Chromite looks the best; debate settled. Look man, appearance is subjective and a matter of taste. I'm not claiming that I'm right or anyone else is wrong about how chromite “looks”, just that I had an unfulfilled expectation. Just trying to help others from experiencing the same disappointment. I may not be a forum sponsor, selling custom motorcyle parts for a living, but I am a machinist of 25 years and I’ve worked with all kinds of metal including chrome. To me the chromite doesn’t match chrome better than the polished stainless. I’m just sayin’, request the free samples and pick what you like best before laying out your $400-500.00, or just order ‘em based on someone else’s opinion, either way they are yours once you pay for ‘em. I will agree about one thing though; it is what it is. Reefrider, at least it didn’t fade or turn yellow, and I bet they look good while they’re leaking brake fluid on tour scoot.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm very happy with mine. I think they look better than stainless.

cadreamn (07-02-2021)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing beats the look of black cables on a bike. Never understood what the deal with silver cables are. They just look messy and tacky.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You are correct, they don't exactly match chrome. IMHO they look as good as you're going to get.

Attached Thumbnails Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!-wheel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Magnum Chromite does not look chrome!