Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VROD motor in Touring Bikes???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Mav
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VROD motor in Touring Bikes???

Anyone want this to happen sooner rather than later??? I test rode a VROD and SERG at the Wilmington, NC HD Open House yesterday. It was also a Demo Day. Man that VROD rocks. I made the guides a little nervous lol. I guess I should't have pulled the wheel up lmao. Man that thing will fly. I for 1 sure hope they put that motor package in a Ultra. I couldn't stop smiling. I'd buy it tomorrow if they did.

Have any customizers did a motor transplant? Is that possible?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

I would love to see it happen. Most on here think water cooled is not HD, but they have not ridden a vrod with pipes. It sounds as much HD as any bagger.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
dohadex
Road Captain
Wink Already done

There was an article in "Bagger" magazine a couple months back where a guy built a hybrid road Glide using a V-Rod. It was odd to see, but you can tell that it would be a cool bike if done right.
I'm leery of the amount of low-end torque they can pack into a V-Rod engine. That's what makes our tourers what they are...NOT HP! Also, the SOUND! A V-Rod just doesn't have the same pulse of a typical V-twin.

But...I assume Harley has something up their proverbial sleeve....

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

Oh, and another thing, for those who are horse power hungry the vrod engine is easy to turbo and comparatively inexpensive.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 PM
ehans
Tourer

A lot of people, myself included, don't want to see this happen, but the truth is, it won't really harm HD's image. People thought Porsche was selling out in the early 90's when they switched from air cooled to water cooled for their 911. The purists said it just wouldn't be the same.

Of course, it was, and Porsche never lost a bit whatever it is that makes a Porsche a Porsche.

Perhaps it is telling that Porsche helped HD with the V-Rod motor.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

....horsepower-shmorsepower...what the "Revolution" motor needs to be a tourer is torque..(yes I've ridden one)...if they build a 1600cc version of that engine for Touring... we'll...I would have to talk trade then...c'mon HD...are you listening?...I know you can do it!!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would really like to see HD do something like that.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I saw one RG with Vrod motor in 07 Sturgis rally in Mt Rushmore parking lot was pretty cool looking. I ask my local HD shop about it they told me if you got the money we can build it for you.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Mav
Tourer

The VROD has plenty of torque @ 4-5000. Of course this is my opinion based on test ride. I don't know it's dyno numbers but the seat of my pants tells me it' got some *****. The last Dyno I saw of a TC96 showed less than steller numbers down low, whatever that means. My 09 Ultra, when it comes to power, torque, down low, up high, whatever... is a bit of a turd when it comes to power. I love everything about my bike but it needs way more power IMO. More power, more than the SE 110 offers... I tested the SERG first then got on the VROD. It was like going from a bicycle to dirt bike, honestly...

I hope no one is offended but my opinion. I love my Ultra. I just think it's way too underpowered... Of course being underpowered saves my drivers license lol

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mav
The VROD has plenty of torque @ 4-5000. Of course this is my opinion based on test ride. I don't know it's dyno numbers but the seat of my pants tells me it' got some *****. The last Dyno I saw of a TC96 showed less than steller numbers down low, whatever that means. My 09 Ultra, when it comes to power, torque, down low, up high, whatever... is a bit of a turd when it comes to power. I love everything about my bike but it needs way more power IMO. More power, more than the SE 110 offers... I tested the SERG first then got on the VROD. It was like going from a bicycle to dirt bike, honestly...

I hope no one is offended but my opinion. I love my Ultra. I just think it's way too underpowered... Of course being underpowered saves my drivers license lol
...Yup...that's the problem...on a Vrod the torque is in the wrong place for a tourer..we need it from 1500-3500..

Quick Reply: VROD motor in Touring Bikes???